ACN Latitudes Forums

Graduation Today!

Well, today is my DS14's last day of junior high school, and his 8th grade graduation ceremony is tonight. We're so proud of him and he's been through so much during his junior high career that tonight is a major milestone.

Just as a recap, his first major PANDAS episode occurred the spring of his 6th grade year, and we spent the better part of 7th grade trying to recover and get a grip on what we were dealing with. After nearly 7 years of a "purely OCD" diagnosis and treatment protocol, those interventions failed us big time in the face of DS's decline in May of that year, and it wasn't until we found PANDAS and started abx in October of the following fall that we began to see real recovery.

We've had our ups and downs ever since then, but given DS's entry into pubescence, the increasing academic demands of school, the increasing social demands of contending with his OCD/anxiety when among his peers, etc., overall, I think he's has done really well. After having to be homeschooled for several months of his 7th grade year and going to school only part-time for another chunk of that grade, he's been in school the entirety of this 8th grade year, pulled straight A's, and even managed to have some fun along the way. He began another pretty powerful exacerbation this past February, after a strep-filled winter season, and we only began to see him regain some ground again as of this past late April. He continues to gain, and we're cautiously optimistic now. The work, therapy, meds and supplements continue!

DS came home with his yearbook yesterday in which he was named by his class as both "Most Likely to Cure a Major Disease" and "Most Likely to Become An Activist," and I just found out last night that he was asked to give his class's commencement speech tonight, but he passed on that opportunity; he said that he's afraid he might become overwhelmed and then have trouble following through, and he thought they should select someone "more reliable" for that honor. -_- I would've been SO proud to see him give that speech tonight, but I'm equally proud that he knows himself that well and is willing to be so honest about his own challenges and put his classmates ahead of himself in his consideration. I'm one proud Mama! :P

Thanks for all your help these last two years, and for letting me brag a bit today! All our kids deserve a good, loud, joyful celebration now and again! Here's wishing everyone a peaceful, happy summer! B)

Well, today is my DS14's last day of junior high school, and his 8th grade graduation ceremony is tonight. We're so proud of him and he's been through so much during his junior high career that tonight is a major milestone.

Just as a recap, his first major PANDAS episode occurred the spring of his 6th grade year, and we spent the better part of 7th grade trying to recover and get a grip on what we were dealing with. After nearly 7 years of a "purely OCD" diagnosis and treatment protocol, those interventions failed us big time in the face of DS's decline in May of that year, and it wasn't until we found PANDAS and started abx in October of the following fall that we began to see real recovery.

We've had our ups and downs ever since then, but given DS's entry into pubescence, the increasing academic demands of school, the increasing social demands of contending with his OCD/anxiety when among his peers, etc., overall, I think he's has done really well. After having to be homeschooled for several months of his 7th grade year and going to school only part-time for another chunk of that grade, he's been in school the entirety of this 8th grade year, pulled straight A's, and even managed to have some fun along the way. He began another pretty powerful exacerbation this past February, after a strep-filled winter season, and we only began to see him regain some ground again as of this past late April. He continues to gain, and we're cautiously optimistic now. The work, therapy, meds and supplements continue!

DS came home with his yearbook yesterday in which he was named by his class as both "Most Likely to Cure a Major Disease" and "Most Likely to Become An Activist," and I just found out last night that he was asked to give his class's commencement speech tonight, but he passed on that opportunity; he said that he's afraid he might become overwhelmed and then have trouble following through, and he thought they should select someone "more reliable" for that honor. -_- I would've been SO proud to see him give that speech tonight, but I'm equally proud that he knows himself that well and is willing to be so honest about his own challenges and put his classmates ahead of himself in his consideration. I'm one proud Mama! :P

Thanks for all your help these last two years, and for letting me brag a bit today! All our kids deserve a good, loud, joyful celebration now and again! Here's wishing everyone a peaceful, happy summer! B)

What a great post! Have a wonderful night and congrats to DS14!

CONGRATULATIONS To the whole family!! I am hoping that the disease he cures will be PANDAS and I have a feeling his co-investigator will be his Mom!!

:)

Edited by kimballot

We are all proud of our children when they do well and make accomplishments, but it is so much more meaningful and heartwarming when you are a parent of a PANDAS child. I applaud you for your efforts and all you have done to bring your son to this moment. Your son is so blessed to have you for his parent and all of your hard work is paying off. As an adult he will look back on his childhood and know how much you loved him and fought for his future. Keep up the good work and thanks so much for sharing your story.

Dedee

nancy -- such a beautiful post! as tears pop from my eyes, i realize how we all cry together in our trials that allows us to also cry together in our rejoicing!

i'm so happy to hear of his success and that you will close the middle school chapter on a high note! enjoy the celebration!

I'm so proud of your son and YOU!!!!!! When he gets his diploma today he is representing all of our kids and their ability to overcome obstacles!

Thanks, everybody! I will pass your well-wishes on to DS! He's practically glowing after the graduation ceremony rehearsal this morning and some big "atta-boy"'s from his favorite teachers. A few more pats on the back should set his self-esteem on "full" and help him contend with whatever nerves tonight's "real thing" might bring! :D

Nancy,

Had I known, I'd have FedEx'd you a carton of kleenex :wub:

When my kids started kindergarten, I wrote them each a letter, explaining how proud I was of them and how much I loved them for who they are on the inside. They don't know the letters exist. I plan to give them the letters when they graduate from HS.

I know for a fact that your DS knows how much you love him. But our kids tend to meet with so many failures that they tend to not appreciate how strong they really are. Let him know that we're all proud of him - and maybe when he's feeling up to it - he can set his sights on speaking at IOCDF - as a success story!

Hope you all have a great celebration!

Laura