ACN Latitudes Forums

AST and ALT liver enzyme tests

I suppose those ratios all refer to hepatitis bcs that's what the article was about. They'll need a new category for the kids who take tons of abx and Motrin chasing asymptomatic infections and brain inflammation.

Sigh......

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The article also mentions mono. Mono is something that a lot of kids can get. My 6 year old had EBV/mono. He was very sick. His pediatrician said lots of kids can just get mild symptoms and you would never know that they had it. Maybe the nausea is a mild symptom of mono? Maybe that is why her liver enzymes are up?

Who knows...but I wouldn't worry. If it was something to worry about the doctor would have told you.

Thank you, ladies for the support and brainstorming.

Does anyone know if the comprehensive chem panel is supposed to be fasting? And there are other liver pieces to that chem panel, yes? But those two were the only ones out of range....outrageously so, but all others were in range. I wonder what that means?

My 15 YO son has the same thing with regurgitation. He throws up sometimes almost as soon as he swallows something. He has been doing this for about 5 months with no answers. Somedays it is bad (he can fill up a 20 oz cup in a short period and other days it is a small amount that he can swallow. It is anywhere from immediate to an hour after he eats. Sometimes he cant even keep water down. So far it has not affected his weight and doctors dont know what it is. As far as labs November 2010 AST 37, ALT 15 June 2007 AST34, ALT19.

Jill...I believe for the Comp. panel, the fasting only comes into play for the glucose part of it. Our lab gives two ranges in the glucose...one if the child was fasting and one if not. I don't believe fasting has any affect on the other tests. Let us know when you figure out what is causing it.

Bio and adopt..... wow..sounds just like my son except he only spits up a little.....never too much that he has to spit it out. Not yet, atleast. Docs don't know what it is with him either. We will be going back to CHP in a couple weeks. Good thing about this gastro is he knows about PANDAS and is actually thinking there is a connection...so he is looking at all angles. (AMEN!) It may end up being a tic that goes away......who knows, but, I understand him wanting to rule out more "serious" causes...I do, too.

(your sons AST and ALT are like my sons.....I still think it is weird these kids, not all, but, so far the majority seem to have higher than average AST numbers.)

Edited by P.Mom