ACN Latitudes Forums

Bactrim & Biacin

I am going to give the Bactrim & Biacin a try, to deal with the Lyme. Will this also work for the PANDAS too? Her OCD is so severe.

Wilma - PANDAS is an autoimmune response to an infection. That means that the antibodies that should be killing the infection think that the cells in the brain are also infection cells and they attach to the brain cells and mess up the signals.

The first step to stopping this is to get rid of the infection - and this is done with antibiotics that are specific for whatever the infection is. If your child has a strep infection, then augmentin or azythromicin might be best. If you child has mycoplasma then biaxin or azith might be best. In your case, your child has lyme (bartonella), so the docs are saying that bactrim and biacin (did you mean biaxin) are good ones to try.

Once the infection is gone, the autoimmune process may just stop on its own (it seems to me that this happens in the first couple of exacerbations). However, many of our children continue to have an autoimmune response even when the infection is gone, where the body keeps making antibodies to attack the brain cells because it thinks the brain cells are the infection. When this happens, then steroids can help to stop it a little, and IVIG can help to stop it alot.

That is why people say it is important to get rid of the infection before IVIG if you can - so the IVIG is able to stop the autoimmune response.

I don't think your daughter has strep or any other infections (from what I've read of your posts), so the best antibiotics for her PANDAS are whatever is best for her lyme.