ACN Latitudes Forums

Disability discrimination.

This is the first time we have had a district-wide exemption policy for finals in our district, normally each school has it's own criteria & normally my school doesn't count excused absences at all. But on this new, official MISD exemption policy form it says....

"Students may not have more than one excused absence in the class they wish to exempt, even if they are excused by a doctor's note."

Uh. Come again?! This also requires a little background on my district's stupid absence policy. If you miss more than 20 minutes of your 90 minute class... You're automatically absent. So if I have an appointment at 9:45, get out at 11:30, get back into town at about 1...... I've been counted absent the entire day. BUT, you aren't allowed to have all day medical absences! Nope. Not if you get Serotonin Syndrome & are stuck in the ER all day, not if you have an MSLT scheduled months in advance, & certainly not if your doctor is three states over & you fly there & back in twelve hours just to miss as little school as possible. If you show up to 20 minutes of either your first or fourth period classes you won't be counted present but your absences will be coded medical. If you're being held in the local pediatric hospital for 24 hours though, sucks for you. That absence isn't "M" but "E:DN" (excused with doctor's note).

My district isn't allowing kids who have all day medical absences more than once a semester to get exemptions by counting these "E:DN" absences & not the "M" ones. Obviously I don't think the M absences should be counted either, but what sense does this make? Who is going to have more than one of those absences per semester but a disabled kid? They gave us this form the day before finals week so I know I won't be able to get this solved in time, but it's not so much about me not wanting to take my finals as it is me just not being okay with this. We're not allowed to have unexcused absences, which motivates people not to skip class. What message are they trying to send by penalizing us for doctor's note absences? That it's not okay to be sick? Sorry I didn't run that by you first, I should have been more considerate.

We also have a very strict absence failing policy. If you get over four absences that are any kind of "E" (including E:DN but not M), you automatically fail whatever class they are in. If you want to pass the class, you have to stay in after school detention for two hours to make up a single absence. What am I supposed to do about this? The problem isn't my counselor, he's completely supportive, this is up at the district level & I just don't even know where to begin. I am NOT okay with being denied the same opportunities as my friends who don't have to see the doctor as often as I do & I am NOT okay with being punished for having a disease I have no control over!!!

This is the first time we have had a district-wide exemption policy for finals in our district, normally each school has it's own criteria & normally my school doesn't count excused absences at all. But on this new, official MISD exemption policy form it says....

"Students may not have more than one excused absence in the class they wish to exempt, even if they are excused by a doctor's note."

Uh. Come again?! This also requires a little background on my district's stupid absence policy. If you miss more than 20 minutes of your 90 minute class... You're automatically absent. So if I have an appointment at 9:45, get out at 11:30, get back into town at about 1...... I've been counted absent the entire day. BUT, you aren't allowed to have all day medical absences! Nope. Not if you get Serotonin Syndrome & are stuck in the ER all day, not if you have an MSLT scheduled months in advance, & certainly not if your doctor is three states over & you fly there & back in twelve hours just to miss as little school as possible. If you show up to 20 minutes of either your first or fourth period classes you won't be counted present but your absences will be coded medical. If you're being held in the local pediatric hospital for 24 hours though, sucks for you. That absence isn't "M" but "E:DN" (excused with doctor's note).

My district isn't allowing kids who have all day medical absences more than once a semester to get exemptions by counting these "E:DN" absences & not the "M" ones. Obviously I don't think the M absences should be counted either, but what sense does this make? Who is going to have more than one of those absences per semester but a disabled kid? They gave us this form the day before finals week so I know I won't be able to get this solved in time, but it's not so much about me not wanting to take my finals as it is me just not being okay with this. We're not allowed to have unexcused absences, which motivates people not to skip class. What message are they trying to send by penalizing us for doctor's note absences? That it's not okay to be sick? Sorry I didn't run that by you first, I should have been more considerate.

We also have a very strict absence failing policy. If you get over four absences that are any kind of "E" (including E:DN but not M), you automatically fail whatever class they are in. If you want to pass the class, you have to stay in after school detention for two hours to make up a single absence. What am I supposed to do about this? The problem isn't my counselor, he's completely supportive, this is up at the district level & I just don't even know where to begin. I am NOT okay with being denied the same opportunities as my friends who don't have to see the doctor as often as I do & I am NOT okay with being punished for having a disease I have no control over!!!

What does your couselor say about this? If he's completely supportive he should be willing to go fight for you. Can he get you a meeting with your principal? I ended up doing that and it worked a lot out.