ACN Latitudes Forums

Question Regarding Resistant Strep

I caught strep from our PANDAS daughter about 4 weeks ago. Luckily, our daughter was on a low dose prophylactic when she got sick and her exacerbation of symptoms only lasted about 5 days before a return to baseline. I am allergic to cephalosporin and penicillan so was put on clarithromycin but the symptoms didn't go away so I was switched to clindamycin. I felt better upon completion of the medication and a day later, our non PANDAS son developed strep. I was sick with strep 2 days later and once again put on clindamycin. We are not sure whether my infection ever cleared or whether I caught strep a second time from our son. I am on day 5 of a 10 day course of clindamycin 150 mg 4 times a day (the previous time was only 3 times a day). So far, the fatigue and sore throat are persisting. I'm not sure if this is because I am sick a second time and my body is tired or if I never cleared. I was also on prednisone the last 6 days of my antibiotic for poison ivy so that probably lowered my immune function. My doctor said to call on Tuesday after the holiday if this continues and I will see an ENT. Are there any other drugs out there that could kick this that I wouldn't be allergic to? I am getting really concerned as I don't want to infect our PANDAS daughter or anyone else, for that matter. Our pediatrician upped her medication to Augmentin for 14 days while I am on my medication so she is not currently showing any sign of exacerbation.

Edited by DebC