ACN Latitudes Forums

OCD & Bartonella

Yes! I believe there are many infections, including Bartonella, that can lead to OCD.

As many have said already, I would consult with a great ILADS trained LLMD to rule out other infections that often accompany Bartonella. Your daughter sounds like she has been very sick since birth and if she was born (perhaps congenitally) with an infection, chances are that the infection weakened her immune system substantially. Once an infection takes hold and weakens the immune system, the body is susceptible to additional infections.

After one year of PANDAS treatment, we found out that our son had Bartonella along with Lyme Disease, Strep, Mycoplasma, Babesia and a parasite. He became very severe, PANDAS (or rather PITANDS) wise and has not been in school for the last two years. Treating all of the above infections has been a very long and bumpy journey, but so worth it. Our son is doing very well right now, although he still has some healing ahead of him.

A really good LLMD can help you rule out these infections.

I would advise reading A Cure Unknown by Pamela Weintrub as well as Insights into Lyme Disease by Connie Streisham.

Elizabeth

We see Dr. Beal in Maryland...I brought the Igenex test with me when I saw him. It was +41band. He did a "31" test, but never mentioned testing for co-infections.

It was our PANDA doctor that wanted to check for co-infections b4 doing IVIG, and found bartonella. My biggest concern is she DOES not get tired and she is really impulsive and has very bizarre personality at night. Now I probably have to run back down to Maryland to see Dr. Beals, and run up to Conneticut to see Dr. B.(PANDA doc)

There is no way I can get these 2 to talk to each other. Dr. B. is so buys that I can never talk to him even if I pay for a phone consult. I feel so in the dark and don't know which way to turn. I feel like I have to be a doctor in all of this. I don't want to be.

We see Dr. Beal in Maryland...I brought the Igenex test with me when I saw him. It was +41band. He did a "31" test, but never mentioned testing for co-infections.

It was our PANDA doctor that wanted to check for co-infections b4 doing IVIG, and found bartonella. My biggest concern is she DOES not get tired and she is really impulsive and has very bizarre personality at night. Now I probably have to run back down to Maryland to see Dr. Beals, and run up to Conneticut to see Dr. B.(PANDA doc)

There is no way I can get these 2 to talk to each other. Dr. B. is so buys that I can never talk to him even if I pay for a phone consult. I feel so in the dark and don't know which way to turn. I feel like I have to be a doctor in all of this. I don't want to be.

Wilma-

I would give Dr. B**** a call and tell him you just received a positive Bartonella test. He may be willing to treat over the phone since you're already a patient of his. Or you may want to consider an appt. with the doctor in NJ that I gave you the name of. He has a short wait list and has had success treating many. Someone on the forum here is being treated by him and is very pleased with his care. Just a suggestion.

Btw- If you google Bartonella/Lyme and psycotic behavior, I'm sure a lot will come up. They even termed a coin "Bartonella Rage". My daughter has had an excess of energy the last couple of years (adhd like), and since treatment she is now beginning with physical symptoms of the lyme and tick-borne infections. Still has a lot of energy, just not manic - impulsive like.

Thinking of you & sending prayers!

edit- I took away doctor's name (in Stevensville)-- it's probably best to use initials to protect the privacy of the doctor.

Edited by philamom

Wilma,

Like Philamom, my son can have an excess of energy - almost manic at times - especially when he's in a period of herxing. Fatigue is listed as a common symptom of lyme, and my son does have periods, particularly at night, where his body is just drained. But it's not a constant thing. Also, when looking at lyme symptoms, there seems to be a different list of symptoms, or an emphasis on different groups of symptoms, when you compare the "common" musculoskeletal lyme vs. neurolyme. Both neurolyme and bartonella are blamed for many of the psych symptoms our kids seem to battle. I doubt your daughter is going to fit neatly into any one illness, particularly if there's a pandas auto-immune reaction in the mix.

I don't have any experience with your doctor in MD. I have heard mixed opinions on other forums. It is strange, IMO, that with all of your daughter's psych issues, bartonella wasn't tested for by the LLMD. I know initial consults are expensive, but it may be worth considering a different LLMD. I think you need someone who is known for a slow, gentle approach with lots of detox.

I know you are so tired. But this is a long, peeling the onion process, and you should be proud of yourself for coming this far.