ACN Latitudes Forums

Allerigic to his new dog!

Well, we got a new puppy last Fall with the feeling that a collie would be a great companion for our 4 year old son. I just got word from the doc that my son is allergic to his beloved pet (among others, less, but still allergic to the cat and to dust mites). I have heard that PANDAS can be greatly exacerbated by allergies. Any input on this? He has been getting better for months (2 steps forward 1 step back)on antibiotics, and he is unable to take allergy meds because they seem to exacerbate PANDAS symptoms. Help! It pains me to take yet another thing away from this little boy! -Kath

Almost 4 years ago we bought a golden retriever because our kids were dying for a dog. On the way home (which was a 25 min drive) I could feel my throat itch and eyes water. I have no other allergies by the wayz Within a few days I had a full fledged cold and i felt awful. There was no way I was going to take drugs to suppress my immune system in order to keep the dog so I contacted my chiropractor who had mentioned to me that he was learning how to treat allergies with muscle testing (also called naet). Anyway he tested me and I was reacting to the dog. So he had me hold the dog and waived a red light over acupressure points to calm my bodys response to the dog.it worked but a few months later I had to do it again when the puppy hair turned to adult hair. Worked again. We just bought a second dog at Xmas and I did the same thing again. I am no longer allergic to either dog. My doc says it does not always work but it's sure worth a try! I think it's amazing and m kids didn't have to lose the dog.

Definitely go to an alternative doctor-chiro or naturopath or acupuncturist who does muscle testing or NAET. An allergist will laugh and want to give him drugs or shots. My chiro had just learned how to do this so it can't be that hard. The red light is a laser that penetrates the skin. It won't burn you. The light is used to heal injuries too. It's safe. I'm sure the top athletes use it to heal. Over our long Lyme treatment we found some great alternative practitioners and most of them use some form of this muscle testing. This whole world of alternative medicine was opened to us because of the Lyme. Because of the Lyme I was willing to try anything that could help and wouldn't hurt. There is so much this practitioners can do to balance the body and help it heal.

If you are interested in NAET, you can use the "find a practitioner" search on the official NAET web site (link below). The site also has info on NAET, etc. Many NAET practitioners use acupuncture needles rather than a laser to stimulate the meridian points. Acupuncture needles are not painful bc they are tiny. My non-PANDAS ds had acupuncture for his asthma and he did fine with it. I have had a gazillion acupuncture sessions, and also some NAET sessions, and have never experienced anything remotely close to pain. For me there is nothing more relaxing than an acupuncture session. Just throwing that in because some might be put off by the thought of needles.

http://www.naet.com/

Did your Doc do skin testing to determine that your son was allergic? Skin testing is only about 50% accurate. If you purchased the dog last fall and you haven't noticed any outward symptoms of his being allergic - it may have been a false positive.

We had a similar situation with our dd two years ago. Purchased a new puppy as a family reward for the nightmare of living through PANDAS-three months later skin testing showed she was highly allergic to both dogs & cats. We have always had cats & never noticed a reaction. Same with the puppy - no reaction. We stop at the Pet Store often and you would expect sneezing, watery eyes if she was truly allergic but again we have never noticed anything.

Now the neighbor kid, on the otherhand, who is highly allergic to cats can't spend more than an hour in our house without having his face start to swell.

It was blood test that the doc added when we drew last Tues. for Strep titers. There is no doubt that he is allergic to something - has been for a long time - but our last dog dies when he was 12 months and we got the new dog when he turned 4. He has always presented with waxing and waning congestion, itchy nose and sneezing. I assume he has seasonal pollen allergies, but he also has periods of time in which he has symptoms (Jan.) when that doesn't make sense, and then he has periods symptom free for several weeks (despite living with the dog). He also came up allergic to dust mites (what he heck do I do about that)? and cats (we have a Siamese, but the allergy is quite low on the scale in comparison to the dog results. I am at a loss and I really don't want to get rid of any pets until we are sure this will have a serious impact upon his PANDAS recovery. In addition, he cannot take ANY meds because he tends to have a PANDAS response, even to low doses of Allegra, which apparently is not supposed top cross the blood brain barrier...

We chose to keep our animals for now as well.

We purchased a new mattress, pillow, & allergen free covers for both for her. We also purchased a new HEPA vacuum cleaner and put a air purifier in her room. She keeps her bedroom door closed now & the animals are not allowed in her room. All of this at least keeps her room freer from the pet hair and dander. She also takes a bath every night before bed to remove both animal germs & outdoor allergens. Dirty laundry is no longer kept in her room.

We also spend the "big bucks" on a filter for our furnace system.

My dd also reacts badly to allergy meds. We have since found out that she is allergic to a lot of the inactive ingredients in the meds.

Edited by ShaesMom