ACN Latitudes Forums

Blood and mucus in urine

Is this a lyme symptom?

I had DS7 in to the E.R. last night because he was screaming in pain, saying he had to pee, but he couldn't pee. We finally got a urine sample, with much screaming and yelling (poor thing), and there is blood and mucus in the urine. BUT, there is no bacteria - zero, none at all - and no white blood cells. ??? The doc kept asking him if he had banged or bumped his privates, which he has not. Then she asked me if he was a "recreational" kinda guy. Ewwww. He's 7!!! No. So she's treating him for yeast, since he's on long-term antibiotics. He's on pen-vk 300 mg bid as prophylaxis for PANDAS. It doesn't look like yeast - everything looks normal, no redness, no yeast anywhere else. But I guess it could be yeasty inside. If he's not better in 3 days he has to go for an ultrasound to see if there's a stone.

Has anyone had or heard of a similar thing with lyme? Of course I'm assuming this is lyme-related, but I think everything is lyme now. I think I'm going crazy! :wacko:

My dd has had chronic UTI's in the past.

Was the ER going to send his urine off for culture? If not, I think I would take him to his Ped and have another sample drawn for culture.

What abx is he on? DD was always put on Bactrim or (not going to spell this right) Furidantrim with the UTI's. Septra was another

Edited by ShaesMom

Is this a lyme symptom?

I had DS7 in to the E.R. last night because he was screaming in pain, saying he had to pee, but he couldn't pee. We finally got a urine sample, with much screaming and yelling (poor thing), and there is blood and mucus in the urine. BUT, there is no bacteria - zero, none at all - and no white blood cells. ??? The doc kept asking him if he had banged or bumped his privates, which he has not. Then she asked me if he was a "recreational" kinda guy. Ewwww. He's 7!!! No. So she's treating him for yeast, since he's on long-term antibiotics. He's on pen-vk 300 mg bid as prophylaxis for PANDAS. It doesn't look like yeast - everything looks normal, no redness, no yeast anywhere else. But I guess it could be yeasty inside. If he's not better in 3 days he has to go for an ultrasound to see if there's a stone.

Has anyone had or heard of a similar thing with lyme? Of course I'm assuming this is lyme-related, but I think everything is lyme now. I think I'm going crazy! :wacko:

Mucus can be a side effect or die-off from treatment of lyme in the stool, but I've not heard of it in the urine. Could your son have some kind of blockage?

Hi. Wanted to mention that Babesia causes blood in the urine. It is a parasite of red blood cells, so I'm not sure if it would show up on regular bacterial tests of urine. Something to look into.

My daughter also is showing blood in her urine (traces. . .no symptoms. .) for two weeks, even at follow up after being on antibiotics (cefdinir). Her ped is mystified by it a bit. . . .

My husband is being treated for possible Babesia, so I've been reading a lot about it and am wondering if my whole family is affected.

Good luck and best wishes for healing! Tammy

Hmmm - babesia. I've been focused on bart (Ds7 with major psych problems) and lyme, so I didn't really look at babesia. That's very interesting. All 3 of my kids started spiking sky high fevers 105-106 a few years ago. We rushed to the hospital many times to find that nothing was obviously wrong. No throat, ear, nose, or chest infections, so we were sent home with instructions to keep the fevers down with motrin and tylenol and let "it", whatever it was, run it's course. DS6 still gets bad headaches and drenching night sweats, especially when/after he gets a cold or any other bug. I remember having terrible air hunger when I was in grade 10. I remember telling my mom and the doctors that no matter how full I filled my lungs I still felt like I couldn't get enough air. I remember hyperventilating until I was light headed, but still feeling like I couldn't get enough air. Now I only feel that way if I'm under a blanket or stuck in stale air for too long, like on a car trip, etc. I have chronically low blood pressure, and am sometimes borderline anemic without any obvious reason. So I guess that fits too. I can't wait to see the LLMD in a month. Geez, I wonder if there are any TBIs that we won't have symptoms of.

Mucus can be a side effect or die-off from treatment of lyme in the stool, but I've not heard of it in the urine. Could your son have some kind of blockage?

Ya, that's a possibility. The doctor put him on anti-yeast meds and he's on antibiotics. She said if it doesn't clear up in 3 days he should have an ultrasound to see if there's a partial blockage from a stone.

Was the ER going to send his urine off for culture? If not, I think I would take him to his Ped and have another sample drawn for culture.

What abx is he on? DD was always put on Bactrim or (not going to spell this right) Furidantrim with the UTI's. Septra was another

Yes, they cultured the urine and found nothing at all. Not a single bacteria, just the blood and mucus, which I thought was weird. The doctor seemed kinda stumped too. I'm going to have the ped do a repeat in a week. DS's on pen-vk, and now something for yeast. Hopefully that's all it is. He does seem partly better today. He's not screaming at the top of his lungs when he goes to the bathroom anymore, although he did wet his pants and was horribly embarassed.

Yes, they cultured the urine and found nothing at all. Not a single bacteria, just the blood and mucus, which I thought was weird. The doctor seemed kinda stumped too. I'm going to have the ped do a repeat in a week. DS's on pen-vk, and now something for yeast. Hopefully that's all it is. He does seem partly better today. He's not screaming at the top of his lungs when he goes to the bathroom anymore, although he did wet his pants and was horribly embarassed.

Did they culture the sample for 48 hours though or just do the quick dip?? Wetting accidents are another sign of a UTI so I would keep it in the back of your mind as a possibilty.

Did they culture the sample for 48 hours though or just do the quick dip?? Wetting accidents are another sign of a UTI so I would keep it in the back of your mind as a possibilty.

After 3 days on yeast meds it has cleared up. Interestingly enough the lab culture came back with E.Coli yesterday, so now he has to go on a stronger antibiotic even though the infection appears to have cleared. He's also going for an ultrasound.

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not trying to ring alarm bells - just wanted to pass this along for whatever it's worth. My neighbor told me yesterday that her son has nephropathy - an autoimmune disease that effects the kidneys. Blood in the urine is one of the symptoms. Poor kid is on prednisone for 6 months. I'd never heard of it, so I pass it along just so you can rule it out.

http://rarediseases.about.com/cs/iganephropathy/a/042002.htm

I'm not trying to ring alarm bells - just wanted to pass this along for whatever it's worth. My neighbor told me yesterday that her son has nephropathy - an autoimmune disease that effects the kidneys. Blood in the urine is one of the symptoms. Poor kid is on prednisone for 6 months. I'd never heard of it, so I pass it along just so you can rule it out.

Our neighbor kid has the same thing.

Momcap-glad to hear something showed up on the lab tests you they know how/what to treat. Also glad he is feeling better!

Thanks for the info. He's having a renal ultrasound next week. Hopefully everything will be normal and it was just a UTI. But if not, autoimmune would be my first guess. Ugh.