ACN Latitudes Forums

Are you still treating for strep? Or just Lyme?

DD has been on a prophyllactic dose of Augmentin for about 2 years. I don't know that this is making our lives better, but everyone is too scared to take her off the Augmentin to find out. When DD was diagnosed with bartonella, the LLMD initially wanted to take her off Augmentin and proceed with the antibiotic cocktail for Bartonella. However, even she became too nervous to take DD off the Augmentin. (We have a strep carrier in the house. We believe we have eradicated the strep from the carrier, but how do you really ever know?)

I keep reading that by treating the Lyme and co-infections that you might also be treating the PANDAS. How many of you are still treating the PANDAS as well as the Lyme? Just today with the SPECT scan results it came up that perhaps it might be a good idea to take her off the Augmentin to let her gut heal so that it can better absorb the supplements we are giving her. This is the first time in 2 years that DH and I have even considered taking her off daily Augmentin.

Any thoughts?

I think it is important to treat for all infections. If your daughter was positive for lyme and bartonella or even just bartonella, it is likely they are contributing to her illness. What antibiotic are they prescribing for the bartonella? A lot of times rifampin is used and it also happens to be good for strep if you are concerned about strep exposure. My daughter was positive for mycoplasma, bartonella, and lyme and was given zyth and omnicef together because it addresses all three infections. Most lyme protocols will cover strep.

I do feel that a combo antibiotic approach which addresses the lyme and bartonella should also address the strep. I now believe that this is all PITANDS and that these are not separate illnesses (i.e. lyme and PANDAS). For us, every single infection creates a PITANDS reaction, even viruses. So, by treating every infection with which your daughter is infected, I feel that you are addressing her PANDAS or PITANDS.

I hope this helps.

Elizabeth

From what I understand about lyme, treating it with anything for 2 years is going to become ineffective. So it's likely time for a change. But that said, our LLMD was also hesitant to stop the augmentin that DS had been on for over a year, especially as we were heading into the winter months. So he kept the augmentin, but added two other abx for the bartonella/lyme. Saw great results. Then at 6 months when DS started to stall, we dropped the augmentin but added omnicef, which also works well for lyme and strep. So we didn't lose any strep coverage but we did gain in that we saw big herxing, indicating we were hitting the lyme that had become impervious to the augmentin.(in our case, the herx itself caused issues, but that's another post).

Some here have continued to be plagued by strep even while in 3-4 abx (I believe that includes zith and/or augmentin). Others have kids that seem well protected, given the assortment of other things they're taking. Like everything, it will be an individual thing. But I think there are options that should cover you for both.