ACN Latitudes Forums

Outgrowing ADHD

I read some articles referring to an NIMH study that identified a gene in kids with ADHD at age 8 who "outgrew" symptoms by age 16. The gene variant group outgrew symptoms when children identified with ADHD without the gene variant did not by 16. Hmm

It is thought that many kids outgrow ADHD symptoms in their late teens, early 20s. Anyone wonder if this is related to Swedo/Cunningham's comments on the immune system "righting" itself around those same timelines?

I read some articles referring to an NIMH study that identified a gene in kids with ADHD at age 8 who "outgrew" symptoms by age 16. The gene variant group outgrew symptoms when children identified with ADHD without the gene variant did not by 16. Hmm

It is thought that many kids outgrow ADHD symptoms in their late teens, early 20s. Anyone wonder if this is related to Swedo/Cunningham's comments on the immune system "righting" itself around those same timelines?

I don't know if it is true that kids outgrow symptoms (or is it that they are no longer required by law to spend 6 hours a day in an environment that is completely contrary to their body makeup).... but wouldn't it be nice if this is true??

I agree with the other post. I had ADD as a child & my symptoms became less debilitating as I got older, but it was because I wasn't confined to the classroom, not because I "outgrew" it. I know I still have attention issues.

Also, it seems when the "H" is there the hyperactivity does calm down as kids get older, but again that doesn't mean they have "outgrown" the condition. I think the condition just changes over time.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, but it hasn't been my experience.

Edited by Lynn777