ACN Latitudes Forums

glutamate questions...anyone tried blockers? huperzine-A?

We tried Lamictal a few years ago He broke out in a Rash threw up and ended up in the ER scary. So I guess the namenda is a better choice for us .I give it to him at bed time 1/2 tablet 2.5 mg.5 seemed to aggitate him

Melanie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We tried Lamictal a few years ago He broke out in a Rash threw up and ended up in the ER scary. So I guess the namenda is a better choice for us .I give it to him at bed time 1/2 tablet 2.5 mg.5 seemed to aggitate him

Melanie

Scary! That sounds like a brush with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome! Yes, then, it seems like namenda is your answer. As I understand it, if you have the Stevens-Johnson "allergic" type of reaction, then you have to discontinue the offending med immediately and basically not return to it. Glad the low-dose namenda seems to be working for Danny!

I'm finding the huperzine A to be kind of interesting. It looks like it's also supposed to be good for seizures...and might help with memory (hmmm...maybe I should try it for myself!!).

Here are some reviews from Iherb http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Huperzine-A-200-mcg-120-Tablets/6335?at=0

re: memory: http://www.wellbella.com/article.php?ArticleID=5588

I'm thinking Huperzine might be esp. good for PANDAS kids since many have memory/learning issues in addition to OCD.

EAMom-

It seems you cannot receive messages.

I am glad to see you posting- but hope it doesn't mean your dd has hit a rough patch. Hope things are still good....

Eileen

hmmm...I deleted pretty much everything in my in box the other day, so that shouldn't be the problem. I'll see if dh can figure it out tonight, maybe one of my settings is weird?

Things are pretty good...but definitely not 100%.

Speaking for the slow-learners department in the back of the room, are any of these similar in their action to NAC? Better? Opposite?

I'm a slow learner, too! :P It's just that this glutamate stuff has piqued my interest for quite a while now, so I'm always keying in on it. I'm so obsessed, I actually have a Google Alerts set up for it! :wacko:

Anyway . . . potentially, it seems. Meaning they're still studying NAC for its efficacy and method of activation, but it is currently thought to somehow either 1) modulate NMDA glutamate receptors or 2) increase levels of glutathione in the brain. Since it's an amino acid and a precursor to glutathione, Option 2 seems feasible.

Experientially, though, while I believe NAC has helped our DS with his OCD, it's had nowhere near the "punch" of the lamictal in that regard. So, on that basis alone (and I'm no scientist), I'm leaning toward thinking that the NAC increases glutathione levels which is overall helpful because it reduces oxidative stress to the cells in the brain and can thereby assist to some degree in the modulation of glutamate along with other protective actions in the cells, but the lamictal is more "focused" and actually mitigates the impact of existing glutamate in the brain by having more or less one job to do: blocking sodium channels.

Again, just my layman's read of material I've been able to find, along with our actual experience with both NAC and lamictal.

I'm finding the huperzine A to be kind of interesting. It looks like it's also supposed to be good for seizures...and might help with memory (hmmm...maybe I should try it for myself!!).

Here are some reviews from Iherb http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Huperzine-A-200-mcg-120-Tablets/6335?at=0

I'm thinking Huperzine might be esp. good for PANDAS kids since many have memory/learning issues in addition to OCD.

EAMom -- Please be sure to post as you try this supplement. I, like many others I think, would love to go with "supplements" as opposed to "meds," if only they proved to have equal efficacy. So very interested in your experience and response here.

So, Huperzine is not commonly available in health food stores, Whole Paycheck or vitamin stores? Or you've ordered it because you are after especially high-quality stuff?

for seizures (that no one's really sure are true seizures, but maybe related to PANDAS.)

tpotter -- i know you see/have seen pretty much all the big names - one of whom i believe also has a speciatly in this -- but, have you considered migraine headaches?

I would think she would have mentioned if she thought it was migraines. She does prescribe the lamictal for him, though, and his abnormal brain waves cleared to normal on lamictal + trileptal.

I don't know if this is already buried in this thread somewhere, but here is a paper that Dr. Jenike (Harvard--the guy on the WBUR interview that is posted http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13776 ) wrote on Glutamate Inhibitors (memantine):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20075645

Edited by EAMom

I tried to search, but it is below 4 letters :(

Who has tried NAC? what dosage? did it help the ocd?

Our ocd is not horrific now, but it would help to have something take the edge off?

It seems it can be taken with zoloft- does anyone know differently? And, did you see any negative side effects?

Thx

Nancy-

I am really interested. One of our daughters (we have 2 with pandas) has been doing great(relatively speaking) and is in recovery from a pandas episode. What we are stuck with is some ocd. She is not really bad enough, right now, to be a candidate for pex, maybe ivig, however the ocd is intrusive. The only thing she really is having trouble with is getting to school (fear of vomiting). Otherwise, is generally cheerful, cooperative, doing schoolwork, socializing, etc. We do erp (and are doing some intensive work this summer), but it would be great if something could take the edge off to help her find some inner motivation/ can do it spirit. She is on 12.5 mg of zoloft- seems, maybe, to help with mood, not with ocd- will be weaning her off this summer (again).

Anyway- thanks!

What would the possible issues side effects be with lamictal- I mean, I will research it, but off the top of your head....

Eileen

This is very interesting to me as well...and Eileen, your daughter sounds exactly like my daughter....the only thing she is on right now is zoloft (20mg) and also doing same type of therapy....her only problem now is intrusive thoughts and anxiety about being in school w/o me....does your daughter go to school? would love to know if you try anything new that helps w/ the intrusive thoughts...(wondering if it is the zoloft???)

EAMom -- Please be sure to post as you try this supplement. I, like many others I think, would love to go with "supplements" as opposed to "meds," if only they proved to have equal efficacy. So very interested in your experience and response here.

So, Huperzine is not commonly available in health food stores, Whole Paycheck or vitamin stores? Or you've ordered it because you are after especially high-quality stuff?

I didn't think to check Whole Paycheck. I checked Vitamin Shoppe online, and they had it through the web only, so I ended up ordering through Amazon (they tend to have a good selection and prices). I think GNC might have it but I don't have one by my house.

I tried to search, but it is below 4 letters :(

Who has tried NAC? what dosage? did it help the ocd?

Our ocd is not horrific now, but it would help to have something take the edge off?

It seems it can be taken with zoloft- does anyone know differently? And, did you see any negative side effects?

Thx

I think you've already seen my post about the NAC regimen my DS is currently on (http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13723). But additionally, FWIW, my DS is also taking zoloft, and there is no problem combining the two. In fact, his psych recommends it. No side effects that we've seen, either.

Good luck!

Edited by MomWithOCDSon