ACN Latitudes Forums

glutamate questions...anyone tried blockers? huperzine-A?

I don't know if this is already buried in this thread somewhere, but here is a paper that Dr. Jenike (Harvard--the guy on the WBUR interview that is posted http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=13776 ) wrote on Glutamate Inhibitors (memantine):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20075645

I've missed that one somehow, so I'm very grateful to you for posting! Jenike pulls a lot of weight with our psych. ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to search, but it is below 4 letters :(

Who has tried NAC? what dosage? did it help the ocd?

Our ocd is not horrific now, but it would help to have something take the edge off?

It seems it can be taken with zoloft- does anyone know differently? And, did you see any negative side effects?

Thx

I researched this after the thread of posts on benefits folks had seen with NAC for OCD- the NIH trial mentioned excluding anyone with high urine oxalytes or tendency for kidney stones. Apparently, while on NAC- one should take 3-4 times the normal doses of Vitmain C which is a BIG No, No for kidney stones. NAC, apprently, can have very adverse effects without the addded Vit C. I liked the idea of trying NAC for my DS10 until I read that. We have strong family history of kidney stone- me, husband and DS10's neurotypcial brother got first one at age 10!! My DS10 suspected PANDAs is the only who has not had a kidney stone and I would like to keep it that way. He has enough issues to deal with:) So, if there is hx a kidney stones- IMHO, would avoid it. Otherwise, from posts and research- has good benefits and is well tolerated.

Guest TwinCitiesMom

We have used NAC since Fall 2010 for our son. It seems to have helped. His OCD has never become as severe as it was last summer. His doctor recommended the NAC because he had not done well on the SSRI's. Our son takes the VSL #3 DS which is a probiotic that "eats" the oxalates.

I'm a little puzzled here. My daughter had a terrible response to galantamine (acetylcholinesterase inhibiter) but a very positive response to behanechol, a Ach mimetic. But it seems like inhibiting the enzyme that breaks down Ach should have a similar effect to increasing Ach. What am I missing? Seems like this could be an important clue as to what is happening with my daughter.

Acetylcholine and acetylcholine receptors are all over the body. Maybe one drug is increasing Ach in one area whereas another drug is increasing it at a different area??? I don't know. Just making a guess. Or maybe it's the difference between stimulating muscarinic versus nicotinic receptors???

I have been trying to find the connection between Camkinase and Ach. There are some interesting studies but I get lost in them. I do think the acetylcholine pathway is an overlooked area in PANDAS and Tourettes for some reason. Researchers seem to stick with the Dopamine hypothesis which is fine, but I wish they would look at other things. I think it is possible that the acetylcholine pathway is important too since many people get relief from L-Carnitine on vocal tics and L-Carnitine supposedly affects the acetylcholine pathway.

Edited by Trg girl

Acetylcholine and acetylcholine receptors are all over the body. Maybe one drug is increasing Ach in one area whereas another drug is increasing it at a different area??? I don't know. Just making a guess. Or maybe it's the difference between stimulating muscarinic versus nicotinic receptors???

I have been trying to find the connection between Camkinase and Ach. There are some interesting studies but I get lost in them. I do think the acetylcholine pathway is an overlooked area in PANDAS and Tourettes for some reason. Researchers seem to stick with the Dopamine hypothesis which is fine, but I wish they would look at other things. I think it is possible that the acetylcholine pathway is important too since many people get relief from L-Carnitine on vocal tics and L-Carnitine supposedly affects the acetylcholine pathway.

Dr. Mary Megson has a paper on the use of bethanechol and CLO to unblock the g-protein pathways. I don't remember anymore, but seems like some stuff I read indicated that CamKII is involved in those g-protein pathways...I don't understand any of the studies (including the Megson paper) well enough to connect all the dots.