ACN Latitudes Forums

I NEED A TIMELY ANSWER.

Dr. B. had me increase the steroids to 50mg. for 3 days. At the end of 3 days he has me update him, typically he says stick w/ 50mg. for 3 more days... (total of 6 days on steroids (50mg)... and a total of 14 days on steroid all together.) ]She was on Bactrim for 4 days, but she was pulling all nighters. I am suppose to drop steroids to 40mg. today, but he wants me to talk to him first. There is a good chance he may want her to stay on the 50mg, but it is too activating to give it late in the day. It would be helpful to get an answer in the morning if possible. If I don't get an answer, can I just give the 50mg. again today?

I definitely see small improvements but she is getting a TEENY bit aggressive but. She is not on any antibiotics at the moment.

Azith. made her really wild

Bactrim kept her up until 6am. Pulling all nighters.

Augmentin gave her rashes.

She does not get hungry on steroids either, which I feel is strange. Aren't they suppose to make everyone hungry?

Wilma, I don't know if I can help all that much but wanted to try. I am not surprised that your dd has been getting a teeny bit aggressive on the steroids. I think that is a pretty common reaction. My ds just finished his first steroid burst and he was slightly irritable and aggressive when he was taking the highest dose. But when you are dealing with infection and neuropsychiatric symptoms it's hard to say what is causing what. Have you been giving the 50 mg of steroids all at once in the morning, or have you been breaking up the dose and giving it throughout the day? If you have been giving it all at once, and you don't get an answer from Dr. B first thing this morning, I would probably go ahead and give it so that you avoid having to give it to her later in the day. If you are breaking up the dose, you could give her part of the dose and then see what Dr. B has to say about the rest of the day. If you have been giving it all at once and go ahead and give her the 50 mg, and then talk to him later and find out he wants you to do down to 40 mg, I don't think having an extra day on the 50 mg will be that much of an issue. BUT, this is just my thinking on this--I don't have that much experience with steroids and have never been through a taper. My ds was hungry and really thirsty while on steroids. What does Dr. B say about your dd not being hungry?

Do you know what infections your dd is dealing with? Does she have underlying strep of myco p or lyme & co-infections or??? I think I remember you saying that Dr. B had done some blood work but I don't recall the results. It's curious to me that he took her off the abx. I wonder if her bad reactions to bactrim and azith had something to do with herxes?

I am glad you have seen some improvements. You have been going through so much!! Continuing to think of you.

I am suppose to drop steroids to 40mg. today, but he wants me to talk to him first. There is a good chance he may want her to stay on the 50mg, but it is too activating to give it late in the day. It would be helpful to get an answer in the morning if possible. If I don't get an answer, can I just give the 50mg. again today?

I just wanted to post this link:

http://noairtogo.tripod.com/prednisone.htm

About a third of the way down, under "Administration Guidelines" it says this:

"All oral dosage forms: Administer with meals to minimize indigestion or GI irritation. If given once daily or every other day, administer in the morning to coincide with the body's normal cortisol secretion."

We wanted to extend my daughter's treatment, and we continued on her dose (only 5mg daily) for about 2 days until we heard back from the doctor. I am thinking that giving another day at 50mg is probably okay since Dr. B wanted to hear talk to you before you drop it....but I'm not a doctor.

Good Luck.