ACN Latitudes Forums

Has anyone here heard of ODD

Gina

Hello Everyone,

I just have a question. Has anyone here ever heard of ODD (Oppositional Defiant Behavior Disorder) This is a new one to me. I have a friend whos 10yr old son was just diagnosed with this and she really does not want to medicate. From what she has said it sounds like the meds are the same or similiar to what Dr.'s prescribe for ADD. She would love to try natural approach but dosent know where to start. I thought if anyone here has heard of this and can give me any onfo that I can pass on to her would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Gina

Hi Gina

yes, ODD is at last being recognised as a disorder, rather than just a "bad" behaviour.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy was very helpful for a friend of mine's son....certainly, from what I have heard, the meds have a real "zombie" effect , so hopefully your friend will find other alternatives....in addition to the CBT, my friend uses homeopathy for her son and is very pleased. They have also found benefit from accupuncture, and, like we have all learned, avoiding allergens and artificial "junk" in food is very helpful and they additionally have worked to eliminate yeast and heavy metals, all beneficial to stabilising the immune system and so helping the overall physiology.

My daughter has ADD (along with a slew of other things ) and would just get into these "frenzies" and I couldn't reach her. I saw a natural doctor and he said the same as Chemar mentioned. No artificial colorings and cut way, way back on sugar. It was very hard at first but what a difference. My son had been having some rages and because of the diet changes for his sister he too had to comply and his rages rarely pop up - unless he's had too much sugar. Now, 7 months later I do give both a treat once a week or maybe once every 2 weeks. They don't nag about it anymore but sure do jump at the chance to get a treat. I will again repeat it's hard to implement at the beginning but if you can stick with it you'll see such positive results it will spur you on. Good luck!

Thanks Sydsmoms & Chemar!

I will mention to her about the artificial flavors & colors. I think thats always a good starting point.

Chemar - Where can I find more info about "Cognitive Behavioural Therapy" Do you have a website or a book that I can recommend to her instead of going blind through the internet which I know can be so overwelming.

Thanks again,

Gina

Hi Gina

there are a number of websites and books on the subject of CBT, but here is a n overview, with links for more detail

http://www.nacbt.org/whatiscbt.htm

It is very important to find a therapist that is fully qualified to do CBT, and who also has a compassionate and non-domineering personality...and one that recognises the neurological ie. the involuntary component in the disorder, whether for ODD or OCD or ADHD or TS etc

I have a daughter that does not have ts, but would get into these frenzies. I often referred to her as my dr jeckyl and mr hyde kid, happy go lucky 95% of the time, but the other 5% - so defiant. Neither my husband or I could do anything with her when she got into one of these "moods". We had a hair analysis done about 5 weeks ago, and have been treating her for high hair copper for the past 4 weeks, and we have only had one incident in that time - and it was over in a few minutes, rather than hours, wheras before we were having 2 or 3 a week, and she has had no migraines in that time either and they were a weekly occurance, so maybe a hair analysis would help pin point whether metals are an issue.

When I give my TS son his supplements, I now give my daughter 300mcg molybdenum, 60mg zinc picolinate, and 5 spirulina (apparently according to a naturopath I spoke to, spirulina contains metalothioine - I can't find any independant verification of this, even from the manufacturers). I am also giving her some NDF.

I can't get over the change these supplements have made in her!

Hope this helps

Caz