ACN Latitudes Forums

Azithromycin dose

My son was on 250mg a day for 5 days and then on a maintenance dose of 80mg 3x a week. I am wondering if this dose is too low? My son is our ped first PANDAS patient. He had Scarlatina last month and was prescribed 2 weeks of penicillin and did well after that but we are still seeing symptoms on the maintenance dose. What is a typical treatment protocol. This is all very new to us.......

I think the "typical" dose or protocol depends on the prescribing dr. The first dr. who treated my ds8 (65 lbs) gave him 5 days of azith, 500 mg the first day and 250 mg the remaining 4 days. I then had two other dr's tell me that a strep infection needs to be treated for 10 days no matter what abx is used. So, even though azith is typically used for 5 days, if it is being used for a strep infection it needs to be used for 10 days. My son then went on another 5 days of azith at the same dosing as the first 5 days. He ended up needing another 5 days, and then we went to a prophylactic dose that his ped and I came up with together. That dose is 500 mg 2x/week. Prophylactic dosing seems to vary rather widely depending on the dr., the child, the circumstances, etc. Keep in mind that even if a strep infection is treated for 10 days with azith or any other abx, if it has not cleared after 10 days, longer treatment is required or perhaps a change of antibiotic. For kids with immune issues sometimes it is necessary for them to be on full strength abx for a while, and some kids stay on full strength abx as prophylaxis. Other kids can be on lower doses for prophylaxis. If you are still seeing symptoms perhaps your son needs a higher maintenance dose or perhaps there is still active infection? Have you had his strep titers checked? Not all kids with PANDAS will have elevated titers, but it might give you something to go on if they are elevated.