ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone know anything about false positive serology

My child has had some borderline positive results for certain infectious labs since she was sick post IVIG last week.

I have found some reliable info on a child with false positive hepatitis post IVIg for Kawasaki disease-- false positive cleared and remained clear at 6, 9 & 12 months.

My doctor is watching my daughter's symptoms and we will recheck labs in a few weeks, unless she becomes ill again.

Anyone have any experience regarding this?

If you are talking about IgG titer testing for infections-IVIG can give false positives, because there is no way to know if the antibodies in the serum are donor or self made. Really, that soon after IVIG there is no use trying to test for infections w/ IgG titers- the results will not be reliable. My daughter gets IVIG frequently (every 3 to 4 weeks) and its sometimes frustrating that you can't test for infections via IgG levels.

I'd think testing for bacterial DNA would be the only way to identify infections that soon after IVIG.

Yes, he did test for IgG titers. I will ask about PCR testing, I think that is what you are referring to, right? she was very ill with skin manifestations and developed a hemolytic anemia and severe abdominal pain 2 days post IVIg. So they were checking for all sorts of things!

Thanks for your help.