ACN Latitudes Forums

Bartonella Treatment Poll

We are now talking with my son's Lyme doc about treatment for his Bartonella. He has spent the last four months under treatment for Babesia and Lyme. P.O. antibiotics were not effective and, currently, he is receiving Rocephin IV for 8 weeks. His Bartonella symptoms have always dominated his clinical picture and they continue to be a problem. One option is to continue his Azithromycin (which he has taken for four months along with Mepron for Babesia). The second option is to start him on Rifampin. As we discuss this I would like to gather information from others who have experienced successful resolution of Bartonella. What worked? What was the length of treatment time? Thanks in advance for any helpful posts!

As an additional note: Our son has also completed four months of Doxycycline for his Lyme as well as IM Bicillin at frequencies ranging from monthly to weekly. The fact that the Bicillin was the only thing that really improved his clinical picture (but would not hold beyond four days) was a big factor in our switching to the IV route.

We started Bartonella treatment for our dd9 at the end of March. She gets 1 tsp Zithromax/day and 1 tsp Bactrim 2x/day.

She has definitely improved since then. We didn't have any overnight dramatic changes and we did have three or four episodes that I will call herxes. At the begining of the treatment it was like 1 step forward, 3/4 step back. After a month or so the huge steps back seem to have stopped. The progress still seems to be there, but very slow going.

The LLMD said that she would normally treat for at least two months after symptoms disappeared, but with our dd's history of doing well in the summer then crashing in the winter, she would want to keep her on treatment through the winter.

At the time of our LLMD appointment, we did not have WB Lyme results back. We see the LLMD again in June, so I don't know whether she will continue with this medicatin/dosage or switch something up.

Kara

We had good results with a bactrim+zith+augmentin combo. But I also think regular 'ol lyme is at play, so we dropped the augmentin and added omnicef two months ago. But DS has, so far, responded to oral abx, so I'm not sure I can suggest anything, since your son has been treatment resistant to orals. You may want to ask for additional input on www.lymenet.org as they have tons of members with a wide array of experiences. We are not out of the woods, so my experiences may not be very helpful.

Edited by LLM

Friends son has been treated for Bartonella almost one year. Originally on biaxin/rifampin combo.... about six months into treatment they rotated antibiotics to biaxin/cipro combo. He no longer has TICs/OCD and only low level symptoms associated with Lyme et al. They have not done any cyst busting for Lyme yet and will be at one year mark at next appointment.

My children have been on various different combos of antibiotics for Babesia/Bartonella/Lyme/HHV6/Coxsackies and currently on Rifampin/Septra/Azithro and Rifampin/Septra/Cedax and Cedax/Alinia/Biaxin.

DS9 being treated for Bartonella since Sep 2010 with comdo abx biaxin, augmentin and bactrim. Switched to zith in dec 2010.Diagnosed Aspergers since age 22 months, PANDAS in March 2010, one hd IVIg with Dr K last May.

He was on tons of holistic meds for detox, drainage, homotoxicology, nutritional support, probiotics etc.

He was 100% for about 35 days in Late feb/march and we went on vacation where exposure to chlorine and EMFs set him upticking with motor tics again- mild but there.The Aspergers is gone, and was obviously Bartonella all along triggered by the DTaP shot at 20 months.

Now as of one week, he is 100% again. Last four days off the zith. we're staying with the holistic support and nutritional vitamins and probiotics and organic diet.But abx will now be used like with any regular kid- when needed for infections, exposures etc.

I will continue to reeducate the immune system with whats normal organ systems using homeopathic sarcode remedies and cold laser detox methods for another 2 months. This has been the one thing thats reduced his Pandas type autoimmune reactivity to almost gone.

I had gone a bit wild with the homeopathic drainage last few weeks but thats really the key. That had him peeing every 15 minutes for two weeks and cleard up his channels real well for the meds and supplements to work deeper intracellular level as needed for most if not all of our kids.

Fingers crossed and praying very hard. Its been a looooong 6.5 years to get to this point..........

Maybe now I can start working better on my Lyme plus bartonella plus babesia and DH with his lyme

Jodie

Edited by sptcmom

DS9 being treated for Bartonella since Sep 2010 with comdo abx biaxin, augmentin and bactrim. Switched to zith in dec 2010.Diagnosed Aspergers since age 22 months, PANDAS in March 2010, one hd IVIg with Dr K last May.

He was on tons of holistic meds for detox, drainage, homotoxicology, nutritional support, probiotics etc.

He was 100% for about 35 days in Late feb/march and we went on vacation where exposure to chlorine and EMFs set him upticking with motor tics again- mild but there.The Aspergers is gone, and was obviously Bartonella all along triggered by the DTaP shot at 20 months.

Now as of one week, he is 100% again. Last four days off the zith. we're staying with the holistic support and nutritional vitamins and probiotics and organic diet.But abx will now be used like with any regular kid- when needed for infections, exposures etc.

I will continue to reeducate the immune system with whats normal organ systems using homeopathic sarcode remedies and cold laser detox methods for another 2 months. This has been the one thing thats reduced his Pandas type autoimmune reactivity to almost gone.

I had gone a bit wild with the homeopathic drainage last few weeks but thats really the key. That had him peeing every 15 minutes for two weeks and cleard up his channels real well for the meds and supplements to work deeper intracellular level as needed for most if not all of our kids.

Fingers crossed and praying very hard. Its been a looooong 6.5 years to get to this point..........

Maybe now I can start working better on my Lyme plus bartonella plus babesia and DH with his lyme

Jodie

What is homeopathic drainage? How do you help it along?

Edited by cobbiemommy