ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS or Tourettes?

X-posted with the PANDAS board-

My son, now 10, started ticcing at age 5. He was recently diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome. We've never connected his tics to a strep infection but his tics started after a long bout with Mycoplasma. Antibiotics really help him when he has a flare up of tics so it's hard to say. He also takes Intuniv and Zoloft and is doing quite well.

Last November, his younger sister started burping constantly and we thought it might be a tic but took her to the doctor in case it was acid reflux or something of that nature. To our surprise, she tested positive for Strep throat! She was treated with abx and the burping subsided. The burping is back in full force along with some OCD's (she has to burp 148 times before she falls asleep), she won't step on yellow lines, she's obsessed with time, she picks her fingers around the cuticles until they are bleeding and down to the meat) and just a few days ago, she started an eye tic. She's widening her eyes (how you look when your surprised!) and she does this randomly throughout the day.

I called the Pediatrician and she has an appt. next Tuesday to check for strep.

What are the odds??? Is it more likely to have 2 kids with Tourette's? How unlikely is it to have 1 child with Tourette's and 1 PANDAS child? Or could she and my son both be PANDAS?

I have 3 kids and am pregnant with my fourth. I'm terrified that since 2 out of the 4 have tics and OCD's that this might be genetic! Help!!

My husband thinks he had a tic as a child. He remembers doing a clicking sound. It was very short lived so I suppose it would be classified transient. Other than that, his Aunt, so my children's Great-Aunt also has a few minor tics and hers stuck around. No one was diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome.

X-posted with the PANDAS board-

My son, now 10, started ticcing at age 5. He was recently diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome. We've never connected his tics to a strep infection but his tics started after a long bout with Mycoplasma. Antibiotics really help him when he has a flare up of tics so it's hard to say. He also takes Intuniv and Zoloft and is doing quite well.

Last November, his younger sister started burping constantly and we thought it might be a tic but took her to the doctor in case it was acid reflux or something of that nature. To our surprise, she tested positive for Strep throat! She was treated with abx and the burping subsided. The burping is back in full force along with some OCD's (she has to burp 148 times before she falls asleep), she won't step on yellow lines, she's obsessed with time, she picks her fingers around the cuticles until they are bleeding and down to the meat) and just a few days ago, she started an eye tic. She's widening her eyes (how you look when your surprised!) and she does this randomly throughout the day.

I called the Pediatrician and she has an appt. next Tuesday to check for strep.

What are the odds??? Is it more likely to have 2 kids with Tourette's? How unlikely is it to have 1 child with Tourette's and 1 PANDAS child? Or could she and my son both be PANDAS?

I have 3 kids and am pregnant with my fourth. I'm terrified that since 2 out of the 4 have tics and OCD's that this might be genetic! Help!!

I have three kids diagnosed with tourettes. On this forum, the odds are probably pretty high that there are more than one child in a family diagnosed. Along with strep, I would suggest looking for environemental factors if more than one family member is ill. Toxic mold being a huge culprit in our case.