ACN Latitudes Forums

Has anyone tried prescription NSAIDS

The other day at our family phsycian's office, we discussed the fact that dd's ocd is caused by inflammation which was controlled to a large degree by steroids in the past. Of course, having Lyme Disease, steroids are a bad idea. I asked about other anti-inflammatories and she gave me the name of a couple of them to research. She didn't know off hand if they crossed the blood brain barrier.

One of the drugs that she mentioned is used for rhematoid arthritis and is called Meloxicam. I googled it and it looks like it is believed that it does cross the blood brain barrier. I am interested to know if anyone has tried something besides Advil to reduce inflammation in the brain, and therefore control the ocd.

I would think that would be a better scenerio than more psych drugs. What do you all think about that? I wrote to her immunologist to ask his opinion. I'll let you know what I hear.

One of the drugs that she mentioned is used for rhematoid arthritis and is called Meloxicam. I googled it and it looks like it is believed that it does cross the blood brain barrier. I am interested to know if anyone has tried something besides Advil to reduce inflammation in the brain, and therefore control the ocd.

My Rheumy prescribed this for me about six months ago for my "Fibro" and because I told her that OTC NSAIDS were bothering my tummy. I took it once and didn't like the way it made me feel (BIG tummy ache & headache) so I've never been brave enough to try it again.

Edited by ShaesMom

My Rheumy prescribed this for me about six months ago for my "Fibro" and because I told her that OTC NSAIDS were bothering my tummy. I took it once and didn't like the way it made me feel (BIG tummy ache & headache) so I've never been brave enough to try it again.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if something like this could help our kids get through this?

I know my dd always did better when given a daily dose of Ibuprofen. I've stopped because of allergies to ingredients. Now I give her a daily dose of compounded Tylenol. Since it's not an anti-inflammatory I really didn't expect it to help much but I was wrong. She definitely feels better with the Tylenol.

OCD has never been one of my dd's biggest sx so I can't say if NSAIDs will help. Anything is worth a try....

In one of the lyme protocols ( I think Dr. Burrascano) they recommend turmeric. Just looked it up -- it's an anti inflammatory that crosses the BBB. You can buy it in health food stores.

I know my dd always did better when given a daily dose of Ibuprofen. I've stopped because of allergies to ingredients. Now I give her a daily dose of compounded Tylenol. Since it's not an anti-inflammatory I really didn't expect it to help much but I was wrong. She definitely feels better with the Tylenol.

OCD has never been one of my dd's biggest sx so I can't say if NSAIDs will help. Anything is worth a try....

We use celebrex when things are OCD.Love it!!Must use a baby asprin with it.

Melanie

In one of the lyme protocols ( I think Dr. Burrascano) they recommend turmeric. Just looked it up -- it's an anti inflammatory that crosses the BBB. You can buy it in health food stores.

Maybe I'll give that a try. I'll go read more about it. Thanks!

Maybe I'll give that a try. I'll go read more about it. Thanks!

I just ordered 500mg Tumeric from Walmart for $7 with no shipping costs. Do you have any idea how much is recommended?

Hi ShaesMom,

Be careful with Tylenol. It can lower your glutathione levels and many of our children already have low glutathione levels. You may want to have your DD's levels checked, particularly if you have been doing this for a while.

Nancy

Now I give her a daily dose of compounded Tylenol.

Hi ShaesMom,

Be careful with Tylenol. It can lower your glutathione levels and many of our children already have low glutathione levels. You may want to have your DD's levels checked, particularly if you have been doing this for a while.

Nancy

Now I give her a daily dose of compounded Tylenol.

I read that somewhere else just yesterday! LOL