ACN Latitudes Forums

Does child freak if u tell them their getting older?

my child has always had so much agitation over someone telling her she is getting big. she asks over and over and over "mom, i am still a baby, right." kills her that she is not a baby. she thinks no body will take care of her if she grows up. I will be posting a lot today. Things are crazy bad over here!

I've seen that in my dd11 before. I tried to keep it light, remind her of the things she likes that she gets to enjoy bcs she is older/bigger like staying up later or having a sleepover.

I usually say something like....even though we all grow up and you are no longer a baby, you will ALWAYS be my baby and there is nothing that can ever change that.

That seemed to comfort her.

Hang in there. This too shall pass.

Edited by JAG10

My son doesn't want to get older/bigger either (his stance on this does shift some tho' & if we're talking about it & it's bothering him, I back off of it or divert his attention by saying something funny--humor works well with him). Says he will always live with me. (Ack!) I was just looking at some Facebook pictures and had one of him on his 5th birthday. I made the comment that the first thing he'd said that day was that he didn't want his teeth to fall out & how I'd probably overdid my talk about what he might experience at 5. He didn't start losing teeth until he was 6 & lost one last Aug & one in Oct or Nov & nothing since then. : /

my child has always had so much agitation over someone telling her she is getting big. she asks over and over and over "mom, i am still a baby, right." kills her that she is not a baby. she thinks no body will take care of her if she grows up. I will be posting a lot today. Things are crazy bad over here!

For us, this is tied up with her separation anxiety/age regression part of pandas.

The MOM is the ONE.

My dd6 will tell me she is not going to college, is not going to get married, and never wants to have babies (but she loves babies.) She says she and I will make cakes together and sell them.

In contrast, my NT/healthy dd4 says she is going to college, talks about babies, and watched the royal wedding with me in sheer delight.

I tell my dd6: Okay. You don't have to go to college. You don't have to have babies/marriage, you can do whatever it is you want - You can stay here! But you will finish high school, that is legally required. lol.

It relaxes her. Right now they don't feel well, everything is so overwhelming. So if I can re-assure she doesn't need to worry about what's going to happen when she's 18, or really what I'm saying is YES, I will always be here for you, then I tell her that.

When she actually goes back to literally acting like a baby, well, that is hard. I honestly tell her, I want my Sammi 6 year old back. I'm done with babies. I love my Sammi 6 year old.

Sorry Wanda it is so HARD. The separation anxiety has played a big part in our lives. As they get better, they will feel better inside within themselves.

Hang in there!

Yep. I've had kids cry on the eve before their birthday, but for mine it's not a fear of getting older but wanting to just stay the age they are now.

To cope with that, you say...you're not only 9 years old, you're also 8, 7, 6 etc.

Edited by Vickie

Yep...

my dd 6 was ocd about dying

so she would always ask how old is to old

when birthdays came around for anybody..

she has started to mellow on that

we had ivig # 2 in Feb and she is doing

great.

Tracie

My PANDAS daughter cried hysterically when she turned 6 last year. I was dumbfounded, as I'd never heard of a child not being excited for a birthday. Then, the eve of her 7th birthday this year, she told me that she was nervous about turning 7. She said she was used to being 6, and didn't want to turn 7. No crying, but lots of anxiety.

My PANDAS daughter cried hysterically when she turned 6 last year. I was dumbfounded, as I'd never heard of a child not being excited for a birthday. Then, the eve of her 7th birthday this year, she told me that she was nervous about turning 7. She said she was used to being 6, and didn't want to turn 7. No crying, but lots of anxiety.