ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics improved

Like everyone else here, I've been tracking which symptoms improve, which get worse each time we change anything. I've been correlating most closely to changes in ABX. As I lay awake 3am this morning (and who doesn't), it occurred to me that my son's reduction in tics might be due to the Magnesium (84mg Mag-Tab SR X1 daily) we started him on April 15th. I added this after reading Burrascano's "Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease" October 2008. Per his paper: "Magnesium supplementation is very helpful for the tremors, twitches, cramps, muscle soreness, heart skips, and weaknesses. It may also help in energy level and cognition." One of the side effects can be diarrhea but my son has not experienced that.

bill

I asked our LLMD about this at our last visit. We left with a lab req to test magnesium, zinc and copper levels, along with labs to check liver function. Went the other day but was told DS has to be vitamin free for a week first. DS's tics are resolving without added magnesium, but would like to have info in case we need it in the future. Glad you're seeing improvements! (but sorry you're awake at 3am - never a good sign).

I was recommended to take 2,000 m.g. per day by our LLMD and to back off if diarrhea occurs. They said it would help with joint pain. Unfortunately, it is the one vitamin I do not get too regularly..... I have a psychological barrier at 50 pills per day. I am at my limit. When/if I do have trouble sleeping I take about 600 m.g. of Calm and able to fall back asleep right away. It works every time. Same for my kids. I use the Adult version of Calm for my kids. You might consider upping son dosage at bedtime with 'CALM'. I think it could possible help your son even more and you 'when you are up at night thinking'.

-Wendy

Edited by SF Mom

You can buy a magnesium sulfate cream which is supposed to be very helpful at getting magnesium into the body. Or you can make your own from Epsom salts, but I never had any luck with that. Magnesium is supposed to be well absorbed topicaly. Kirkman makes the cream, I think.

I think Magnesium is supposed to be important, because it is what the BB bugs feed on, so they use a lot of it up in Lyme's cases....but then, aren't we just feeding the bugs if we supplement with Magnesium?

I was recommended to take 2,000 m.g. per day by our LLMD and to back off if diarrhea occurs. They said it would help with joint pain. Unfortunately, it is the one vitamin I do not get too regularly..... I have a psychological barrier at 50 pills per day. I am at my limit. When/if I do have trouble sleeping I take about 600 m.g. of Calm and able to fall back asleep right away. It works every time. Same for my kids. I use the Adult version of Calm for my kids. You might consider upping son dosage at bedtime with 'CALM'. I think it could possible help your son even more and you 'when you are up at night thinking'.

-Wendy

Our LLMD has pushed the magnesium with Aidan - one of the supplements they insist he take. We do MagnaCalm (Is that what you use Wendy?.) LLMD wanted multiple scoops a day (1-2 scoops twice a day)- I have had a hard time being consistent as I need to find a opportune time to put it in food or drink that he will actually eat or drink. I think more than 2 scoops a day may cause bowel problems for Aidan but normally he tends toward constipation anyway. Right now I am trying to make sure he gets a minimum of 1 scoop a day.

We did do blood tests that said his magnesium level was OK but LLMD said something about the fact that even though the blood tests didn't show a deficiency that didn't mean that it was making its way to joints/ligaments, etc, (hopefully I am remembering this accurately)