ACN Latitudes Forums

Rifampin question

My 6 year old son started taking Rifampin 150mg twice daily last weekend. He had 2 doses and we stopped to determine if a rash he had was a side effect or herx. The llmd said it was a herx and restart the Rifampin. After the initial first 2 doses his urine was orange/red, as would be expected with this drug and actually my understanding is that is a good thing because you know the medication is being absorbed. However, after restarting the medication on Wednesday his urine is no longer orange/red? I have been giving the Rifampin an hour before eating to maximize absorbability and not interfere with his Biaxin. Does anyone know if urine needs to stay colored to assure correct absorption? From what I read on the internet it seems to imply that without colored urine the medication is not optimally absorbed? Thanks.

I called the LLMD when we started Rifampin because I was concerned about the orange color of his urine first thing in the a.m (he takes it at night). They said its "common" but did not say anything about it being a good sign or something that you necessarily need to see to know its being absorbed. This doesn't definitively answer your question, but just wanted to let you know.