ACN Latitudes Forums

HLA B positive?

During my daughter's recent llmd appointment I mentioned some of my ailments (mild rheum arthritis, raynauds, IBS, exc) and the doctor said "now I know where your daughter got the positive HLA gene from". At the time I didn't know what he was talking about. When I got home and looked at her previous labs, it is written down that she is positive for HLA- B for one number and negative for three others. Can't understand his penmanship. I assume it can't be too significant since he never brought it to my attention before.

I thought I would ask you really smart folks. Anyone know?

During my daughter's recent llmd appointment I mentioned some of my ailments (mild rheum arthritis, raynauds, IBS, exc) and the doctor said "now I know where your daughter got the positive HLA gene from". At the time I didn't know what he was talking about. When I got home and looked at her previous labs, it is written down that she is positive for HLA- B for one number and negative for three others. Can't understand his penmanship. I assume it can't be too significant since he never brought it to my attention before.

I thought I would ask you really smart folks. Anyone know?

It can be significant in that the disease may trigger a specific auto immune reaction. My son is HLA b27 positive which means an arthritis reaction. At this moment in time my son has daily knee and ankle pain. I'm hoping this resolves with the treatment. However I have read it may take a long time to resolve.

In decoding his notes, it say's she is positive for HLA-DR4. She is negative for HLA-B27. Do you know anything about the DR4? Same?

Sorry to hear about your son's joint pain.

It has to do with arthritis, not necessarily that she'll show this symptom. Some HLA's are more resistant to treatment than others or take longer to resolve. You might want to google.

Philamom,

I have been researching this more after my dad got sick b/c it just seems so strange that we all are sick. I realize that a family can vacation, hang out in the same Lyme infested yard, etc. and many or all get sick, but I found it interesting how our LLMD was interested in my dad's mold exposure when his office bldg was renovated in summer 2010 thru Dec. 2010. I researched mold, HLAs, Lyme, etc. some more after his appt and it dawned on me that our kids' LLMD tested for HLA and were positive for HLA . It made me wonder if my dad and I and anyone else in my family had this genetic predisposition to not clear toxins from the bodies as quickly which can lead to longer illness time and more severe herxes. I even read that people may clear the bacteria but if the biotoxins are still in the body, they may never get well. So from what I gathered is detox is even more crucial for people w/ positive HLAs than I ever imagined...just my humble opinion. I plan on asking a lot more at my next appt w/ my LLMD and at the kids' appt w/ their ped. LLMD. If all that I read is true, understanding HLAs could be an important component in healing those with many chronic illnesses.

Philamom,

I have been researching this more after my dad got sick b/c it just seems so strange that we all are sick. I realize that a family can vacation, hang out in the same Lyme infested yard, etc. and many or all get sick, but I found it interesting how our LLMD was interested in my dad's mold exposure when his office bldg was renovated in summer 2010 thru Dec. 2010. I researched mold, HLAs, Lyme, etc. some more after his appt and it dawned on me that our kids' LLMD tested for HLA and were positive for HLA . It made me wonder if my dad and I and anyone else in my family had this genetic predisposition to not clear toxins from the bodies as quickly which can lead to longer illness time and more severe herxes. I even read that people may clear the bacteria but if the biotoxins are still in the body, they may never get well. So from what I gathered is detox is even more crucial for people w/ positive HLAs than I ever imagined...just my humble opinion. I plan on asking a lot more at my next appt w/ my LLMD and at the kids' appt w/ their ped. LLMD. If all that I read is true, understanding HLAs could be an important component in healing those with many chronic illnesses.

I plan to begin focusing on detox/drainage at the end of this month. I just wanted my daughter to finish the school year (she missed half of last year). She seems to react to anything ingested, viruses, blood draws, dental, you name it, so we've been keeping it minimal. Now it's time to make some changes.

Can you please let us know what you learn about the positive HLA's at your appointments? thx

My son and I had the HLA testing done. My son tested positive for chronic Lyme and mold and I tested positive for mold.

Justine- can you elaborate on the test for chronic lyme...what test was it? Also, what HLA's were positive?

Thanks!

I'm not completely sure but it has something to do with seeing if you have a genetic disposition for certain problems. Our LLMD has a chart he uses for codes that come back from the lab (Labcorp). I believe he called it HLA Gene testing. Our insurance paid for it. So by coming up positive for mold and chronic lyme, it shows that my son has a predisposition for having potential issues with Lyme and mold. I'm sure it's not that simple but I think that's the gist of it.

My son and I had the HLA testing done. My son tested positive for chronic Lyme and mold and I tested positive for mold.

Justine- can you elaborate on the test for chronic lyme...what test was it? Also, what HLA's were positive?

Thanks!

Edited by justinekno

I'm not completely sure but it has something to do with seeing if you have a genetic disposition for certain problems. Our LLMD has a chart he uses for codes that come back from the lab (Labcorp). I believe he called it HLA Gene testing. Our insurance paid for it. So by coming up positive for mold and chronic lyme, it shows that my son has a predisposition for having potential issues with Lyme and mold. I'm sure it's not that simple but I think that's the gist of it.

Thanks!

Thank you Justine. Anyone else have + HLA's?

My whole family did. We test positive for mold (as well as other biotoxins). 25% of the population has this susceptibility (according to my doc).

Check out my doc's website which explains his theory on HLA genes and mold and lyme susceptibility.

http://www.survivingmold.com/diagnosis/lab-tests

Also, as I've noticed others were posting about MARCONS recently, this outline shows susceptibility to the biofilms forming in lyme, mold, and other biotoxic patients. The biofilms are not exclusive to lyme.

Edited by Familyof5

Has anyone tested their MSH levels? I find this as a really interesting possible reason for elevated CamK II that we see in Pandas. Aside from Shoemaker, does anyone have research links to this? Very interesting thread...

Just spoke with our Dr. this morning regarding HLA testing. We are doing it for my husband. My understanding was 'its the genetic component' for ones ability to detoxify properly things like MOLD .... Please correct me if your understanding is different. We were talking about a lot of things during this discussion.

-Wendy

Have only just begun to research, but my understanding is that there are multiple HLA gene variants. Two effect your ability to detox/fight lyme, at least one effects your ability to fight mold. One of the HLA variants that is relevant to lyme (don't have the sub-type name handy) is carried by 23-25% of the population and it is this group that was particularly susceptible to adverse reactions from the lyme vaccine that was on the market in 2000-2002 time frame. This group either had lyme and didn't know it or was genetically unable to count a proper immune response to the lyme vaccine and developed rheumatoid arthritis (the manufacturer argued it was unrelated to the vaccine but the potential for law suits from 25% of the population made the vaccine a failure and they pulled it from the market).

This is my new research project this week. I'll post what I can find.