ACN Latitudes Forums

Tests for liver damage, etc. from long-term antibiotics

I was wondering how long after being on long-term antibiotics you have your child checked for liver damage, etc. What tests did you have done? Thank you.

I have my son's liver functions tested every 6-8 weeks - more because he is on antifungals and uses ibuprofen often, though he is also on azith for a year.

So far - everything is fine, but I do like keeping an eye on it. I

Our DS has been on abx for almost 2 years solid now. His last liver function test was about 6 months ago, and it came back normal.

His pediatrician has said that she has no concerns about negative impacts by the abx on the liver given as, otherwise, his health is good. She actually discouraged more frequent testing, saying it was "unnecessary."

I suppose if the whites of his eyes ever show a yellow caste, or his skin looks sallow, I'll get pushier about it. ;)

We check liver/kidney function about every 6 months, more frequently if she is on something that is known to be hard on the liver (like rifampin or diflucan). So far no problems. Have been on abx for @ 4 years.

Do the PANDAS docs recommend/order these? We've seeen 2 and have never had anyone order these. Should I be asking my pediatrician for these?-My daughter's been on ABX for 1 year solid and then off and on the year before that.

Do the PANDAS docs recommend/order these? We've seeen 2 and have never had anyone order these. Should I be asking my pediatrician for these?-My daughter's been on ABX for 1 year solid and then off and on the year before that.

My pediatrician runs ours- we just do it with routine bloodwork.

Funny you should bring this up. I was just asking Sheila, yesterday how to post on more than one forum (Lyme and PANDAS) about making sure you do this on a regular basis. DS15 and I have both started testing high on liver enzymes (started about 5 months ago when we added in abx for Lyme, in addition to PANDAS abx.)

Ped. neurologist expressed major concern about it last week for DS 15, and I made appointment with his gastro (he had already had problems with pancreatitis from doxy.) In the meantime, we rechecked his numbers and they had dramatically risen...scared me completely, and the pediatrician called the gastro to get him in sooner.

Just got home fromm gastro, and he thinks it's the abx (btw...azithro can definitely cause liver problems as can doxy, and others he's been on.)

Now he's on nothing! So...what do I do WHEN he gets sick (he's already sick...I don't think the oral abx have been helping much lately, anyway.)

We've got consults in to all the docts (neuro, immuno, gastro.)

So, the bottomline is...don't wait for the yellow eyes to start (not to scare you, but that happened to a friend of mine many ears ago, and it was too late.) Keep testing regularly. Don't assume that it can't affect your child (many of these can also affect the kidneys and more.)

Funny you should bring this up. I was just asking Sheila, yesterday how to post on more than one forum (Lyme and PANDAS) about making sure you do this on a regular basis. DS15 and I have both started testing high on liver enzymes (started about 5 months ago when we added in abx for Lyme, in addition to PANDAS abx.)

Ped. neurologist expressed major concern about it last week for DS 15, and I made appointment with his gastro (he had already had problems with pancreatitis from doxy.) In the meantime, we rechecked his numbers and they had dramatically risen...scared me completely, and the pediatrician called the gastro to get him in sooner.

Just got home fromm gastro, and he thinks it's the abx (btw...azithro can definitely cause liver problems as can doxy, and others he's been on.)

Now he's on nothing! So...what do I do WHEN he gets sick (he's already sick...I don't think the oral abx have been helping much lately, anyway.)

We've got consults in to all the docts (neuro, immuno, gastro.)

So, the bottomline is...don't wait for the yellow eyes to start (not to scare you, but that happened to a friend of mine many ears ago, and it was too late.) Keep testing regularly. Don't assume that it can't affect your child (many of these can also affect the kidneys and more.)

tpotter - I am sorry to hear this about your 15 year old. I do hope it is resolved soon and/or that he does not get infection. Perhaps all the IVIG will help to fend things off. I am so glad you have been diligent about checking liver functions - especially with all the different meds he has been on.