ACN Latitudes Forums

Bartonella rash

My son was diagnosed with PANDAS by Dr. T, but we are now looking into lyme because my son has not really gotten any significant improvement after 7 months on antibiotics and we don't want to do costly IVIG or PEX if it isn't necessary (or could actually cause harm). My son's LabCorp Western blot showed IgG P23, P66; IgM P41. We have been to a lyme doctor who looked at my son's chest and the underside of his forearms and noticed a very light pink rash. It is not raised or pimply. Basically it looks like a heat rash. The doctor seemed sure it was bartonella and said we would notice it more after a hot shower. But it seemed to looked the same to me after my son's shower.

The rash is definitely there (though faint--I had never noticed it before), but I have heard that antibiotics can cause a rash that looks like a heat rash. My son has been on antibtioics for 7 months. There are no "cat scratches" or "stretch marks."

We are waiting for further Igenex testing, but the lyme doctor wanted to go ahead and treat based on the rash, OCD symptoms, and P23 band.

My question is has anyone here had this type of very light heat rash with Bartonella? I have seen pictures of Bartonella rashes on the internet and my son's is much fainter. Has anyone's child gotten a rash from an antibiotic? What did it look like? Thank you.

My dd11 had the stretch marks rash. Have you checked out the photos on www.drjoneskids.org? There are a lot of pictures. Good luck!

thank you for pointing out that the pictures were there. I'm shocked to discover that what I thought was spider veins may actually be a Bartonella rash. AND those hands-they could be pictures of my hands!!! Amazing!!

It is not raised or pimply. Basically it looks like a heat rash. The doctor seemed sure it was bartonella and said we would notice it more after a hot shower. ...There are no "cat scratches" or "stretch marks."

My daughter has had this same rash on her buttocks at the time we started treating her for bartonella. It was faint, and looked like I'd spanked her more than it looked like a rash - just a faint, stippled redness. It was more obvious after a bath, but I assumed any redness would be brighter after being in warm water. It lasted about 2-3 days. Our LLMD couldn't say one way or the other. The picture I took with my cell phone was hard to see and he said it was possible but couldn't be sure. We're treating her more based on her neuropsych and GI symptoms, and an equivocal WB, after ruling other things out. The rash wasn't part of the dx. I don't know if she has bartonella or not, but I know she was kidnapped by intrusive-thought OCD and is now 95% with zith-bactrim. It may be worth a try and see what happens.

Hello Christianmom

My ds has Bartonella via Quest lyme co infection panel. ( We found this out after our corresponding) I believe that means he has Bartonella 99.999% but

I never saw classical bartonella rashes on him before and he has had plenty of rashes at any given time of year.

My son is being treated with Rifampin right now but not doing too well and so I was thinking of your ds as he did not have good reaction with rimfampin as well. ( Am I remembering this correctly?) But knowing he has Bartonella, treatment is not an option but necessity so we go forward.

pathfinder

My dd11 had the stretch marks rash. Have you checked out the photos on www.drjoneskids.org? There are a lot of pictures. Good luck!

thank you for pointing out that the pictures were there. I'm shocked to discover that what I thought was spider veins may actually be a Bartonella rash. AND those hands-they could be pictures of my hands!!! Amazing!!

Evan's rashes haven't looked like the "classic" wide, stretch marks. His are the red disconnected fingernail looking ones, just under the skin. They were all over his upper back between his shoulder blades. He even had a few vertical, faint ones that were on his neck under his ear. They began to surface when we added GSE.

Dawn

Hello Christianmom

My ds has Bartonella via Quest lyme co infection panel. ( We found this out after our corresponding) I believe that means he has Bartonella 99.999% but

I never saw classical bartonella rashes on him before and he has had plenty of rashes at any given time of year.

My son is being treated with Rifampin right now but not doing too well and so I was thinking of your ds as he did not have good reaction with rimfampin as well. ( Am I remembering this correctly?) But knowing he has Bartonella, treatment is not an option but necessity so we go forward.

pathfinder

Hi pathfinder,

My son was only on rifampin for 4 days along with clindamycin. It was given to treat strep. We have not yet started treatment for bartonella--waiting for Igenex results.