ACN Latitudes Forums

Steroid Burst-CAN SOMEONE HELP?

It's the second day of the steroid burst. I am looking for severe OCD to subside and for her 2 fall asleep b4 4am in the morning. I don't see any improvement yet. Is it way too early or should I see some good happening? This family needs sleep. Ohmygosh...when do we get some relief. Please tell me that this stuff takes awhile.

Sleep problems are not uncommon with steroids - especially when you are "loading" (giving large dose in the beginning).

Are you doing a taper (where the number of pills starts to decrease after a week or so), or are you doing a burst (same number of pills each day)?

My son had insomnia, itching, increased OCD, rages, and even some questionable hallucinations with his last steroid taper. By the middle of the second week, though, he was doing great and he hated for the prednisone to end!

she had severe ocd induced insomnia since birth. she NEVER EVER falls asleep. i am praying that the steroid burst HELPS THIS. right now she is a mess. the ocd is so severe. i just don't know how much we can all take of this.

Have you tried melatonin? 1/4 tablet at dinner time does it for us. You could use 1/2 tablet too, but she might be groggy the next morning.

Both times my dd took pred, the first week at the highest dose was really difficult. Her moods improved the second week when the dose was cut in half. When are you giving the pred...morning or evening?

Our PANDAS doctor told us that for the days when she is taking 2x/day, if she has difficultly sleeping, I could give most of the pred in the morning instead.

But, thankfully, we never saw any sleeping issues with my daughter.