ACN Latitudes Forums

Child number 2 showing signs of TICS

My 11 year old has a tic disorder (no OCD, ADD, or serious vocal tics) and we are working with a DAN doctor and our pediatric neurologist on his condition.

A few days ago our 6 year old daughter showed the slightest tic with a little shoulder shrug and a faint head nod. This would have absolutely gone unnoticed by me and others if not for the fact that our oldest has this disorder.

My older son did not show any signs until he was 9 and I was wondering if this is a typical age and what advise the forum could share with me on how to best deal with this. I am educating myself on natural treatments for my son who shows daily signs of the disorder but wanted to know if there is anything that I should consider that may be more preventative or appropriate for someone with the earliest signs.

Also, how common is it to have multiple children with TS or Tic disorder. No one in my family or my wifes has any such symptoms.

One child with tics is stressful but manageable, 2 kids sounds really difficult and w have a total of 4 at home! The 3rd is very ADD with a learning disability but no tics.

Thanks for listening.

Nick

Nick, not a day goes by where my wife and I are not watching our two youngest children with the dread of seeing tics develop. My four year old sometimes shows what could be tics but he has seen so much from his older brother over the years that it might be a learned behavior that he was expermenting with or doing without thinking. We do not think he has tics like his older brother, who was already a mess at that age, but to be on the safe side we give epsolm salt baths to my four year old along with cod liver fish oil, probiotics, and multi-vitamin. My four year old has no food allergies and has not shown any vocal tics or serious stuff the older one has so we think the behaviors that he showed was just behavior. The key question is the length of time the tic behavior is being shown. At least that is the key question that we use with the younger brothers.

Nick, I noticed that you mentioned that you have another son that is very ADD with a learning disability. My DAN doctor treats kids who are ADD. He feels that alot of ADD may also be a result of heavy metal poisoning and the University of Texas did a study that found children who lived close to factories, hospitals with smoke stacks, and electric plants were found to have high levels of metal poisoning as well as the schools located in those neighborhoods had much higher numbers of students in Special Education. We all talk about vaccination shots but we forget that industrail pollution could be an added factor with ASD,TS, and ADD.

As for children in families having TS, there are alot of families with more then one child with Autism as well. Research is suggesting that bright children have sensitive brain membranes and may be predisposed to being more damaged from vaccination shots due to this. Another factor may be gluthanione levels which may or may not be an inhert trait. Gluthanione levels is a question like the chicken or the egg , what came first. Were the low gluthanione levels that most of our kids have come first or did the heavy metals. Did the heavy metal damage cause the low level or was the low level the reason the body retained the heavy metals in the first place. It goes on and on but you are proactive with seeing a DAN doctor and I am sure that you know that alot can be done with test assessing the problems and then supplements and detoxing, your choice, fixing the problem.

Hang in there and with time and effort it will all work out but effort is the biggest thing of all besides telling and showing love to the kids.

Andy,

Thank you for your advise and supportive words. We live in a fairly low polution

environment on the north shore of Long Island and there is no apparent environmental issue near my childrens school campus. We also checked our home for mold and the amounts were quit low. The interesting thing with my older sons issue is that it really became acute immediately following a 10 month home renovation that may have been a trigger. More questions and theories than answers but the good news is that my kids remain well adjusted to their neurological challenges and could not be more normal and happy(well maybe a little bit). We luckily have the resources to investigate different approaches and we will see were the path takes us. Thanks you and I appreciate the valuable information I receive on this forum.

Nick

Andy, I have a 2 year old that I worry about developing TS, ADHD, OCD like his other brother has.

Did you consult with a DAN Dr. about preventive things to try or just know what to do from experience with your older son.

My 10 year old will be seeing a DAN Dr. in August. I am going to ask about my 2 year old as far as allergy testing etc. Robin.

Andy, I have a 2 year old that I worry about developing TS, ADHD, OCD like his other brother has.  

Did you consult with a DAN Dr. about preventive things to try or just know what to do from experience with your older son.  

My 10 year old will be seeing a DAN Dr. in August.  I am going to ask about my 2 year old as far as allergy testing etc.  Robin.

8899[/snapback]

We consulted with a DAN doctor for our nine month old for prevacination and post vacination measures but as for our four year old we just informally asked our neurologist and DAN doctor over time if epsolm salt baths (two cups), nordic cod liver (1 teaspoon), probiotics and a multivitamin would be ok for the middle one and we were told that everyone should be doing that. The epsolm salt bath is the only detoxer of the bunch but we try to get fruit shakes in when we can.

I am glad that you are seeing a DAN doctor. May I suggest that you read the Treatment Options for Mercury/Metal Toxicity in Autism and Related Developmental Disabilities Consensus Position Paper that can be accessed from www.AutismResearchInstitute This way you will have background knowledge and know what the doctor is talking about. Most of the treatments that are used for the ASD kids are the same for TS, ADD, OCD kids except the time needed for treatment may, from our experience I say this, may be alot less. Best of luck to you. I wasn't a true believer in it until I got the test results back and saw the junk that was in my kid and I wondered how he functioned at all. I became an advocate after I saw the progress my kid made in short time.