ACN Latitudes Forums

Painful, itchy, bumpy sunburn from Doxy

I forgot to put suncreen on my hands and got a sunburn last Wednesday while on Doxy. I finished the course on Tuesday and am off abx until we get my Western Blot results back. But the sunburn is still going strong - it itches now and is developing little bumps on the skin where its burned (not blisters, I don't think). I started wearing gloves to cover it while outside, so I know I haven't continued to burn it, but its not going away.

Has anyone else had this experience? DH doesn't think it looks like a normal sunburn and thinks I should call the doctor, but I keep thinking its just a sunburn, it will subside. Does it just take longer to heal when you're on doxy?

I forgot to put suncreen on my hands and got a sunburn last Wednesday while on Doxy. I finished the course on Tuesday and am off abx until we get my Western Blot results back. But the sunburn is still going strong - it itches now and is developing little bumps on the skin where its burned (not blisters, I don't think). I started wearing gloves to cover it while outside, so I know I haven't continued to burn it, but its not going away.

Has anyone else had this experience? DH doesn't think it looks like a normal sunburn and thinks I should call the doctor, but I keep thinking its just a sunburn, it will subside. Does it just take longer to heal when you're on doxy?

I realize you said you stopped the Doxy, but I just wanted to tell you what I learned. I was in Dr. J's office on Wednesday, talking about my dd, and as I was talking to him, I didn't even realize I was scratching. He noticed and said it was from Doxy (makes you photosensitive, I believe) He told me to call my lyme dr. and get taken off Doxy and on something else like Minocycline because it would only get worse. Not sure how long it takes to reverse once you stop the Doxy though. Minocycline can also be photosensitizing, but he said its rare, maybe 1 in 100 people.

I am so glad you posted this. My DS10 Kyle has the same rash and on his hands as well. He also has terribly chapped lips, maybe sunburned? and blotchy splashes all over his face. He has been on doxy for two weeks now.

My problem is that Kyle has anplasma and from what I've read, doxy is the best, but also read rimfampin (sp) has worked on pregnant people. Kyle also has mycoplasma and suspected lyme (waiting on CD57 tests, western blots negative), so not sure what combination of drugs he may need?

So frustrating b.c. after ocd diangosis, then pandas, then pitands, now mycoplasma/anaplasma/lyme, I finally felt like we had right meds:( Hoping Dr. will be willing/able to Rx something different and that he will give the right combination.

He's also been terribly sad/crying/depressed/tired for past few days. Was thinking it was herxing, maybe it was/is, but now wondering if allergic reaction to the doxy.

I am so glad you posted this. My DS10 Kyle has the same rash and on his hands as well. He also has terribly chapped lips, maybe sunburned? and blotchy splashes all over his face. He has been on doxy for two weeks now.

My problem is that Kyle has anplasma and from what I've read, doxy is the best, but also read rimfampin (sp) has worked on pregnant people. Kyle also has mycoplasma and suspected lyme (waiting on CD57 tests, western blots negative), so not sure what combination of drugs he may need?

So frustrating b.c. after ocd diangosis, then pandas, then pitands, now mycoplasma/anaplasma/lyme, I finally felt like we had right meds:( Hoping Dr. will be willing/able to Rx something different and that he will give the right combination.

He's also been terribly sad/crying/depressed/tired for past few days. Was thinking it was herxing, maybe it was/is, but now wondering if allergic reaction to the doxy.

The sad, crying depressed, tired could certainly be a herx. I was exhausted when I first started Doxy and sort of down, too. My lips are also really chapped from the sun while on Doxy. I've been putting a lip balm with sun screen in it on them and trying really hard to stay out of the sun.

Doxy's a nasty one. It's not a "sunburn", it's called a "Phototoxic rash" & it's a kind of Porphyria. I only clarify cos it makes a difference with how you deal with it. The thing that sucks about them is that once you get one... they just keep on coming. I took my last dose of Doxy yesterday morning because, as my doctor put it, "Unless you plan on never leaving the house, you can't stay out of the sun in Texas".

It took over a month for me to become photosensitive but I was EXTREMELY sensitive once it happened. The first rash came when I had been outside, with sunscreen, for only twenty minutes. My last one was on the top of my hand (I think it's scarred...) five minutes after stepping outside. I had forgotten my sunscreen that day though.

Melissa recommended Ocean Potion sunscreen after the first one & it has worked like a charm at preventing them. I use the anti-aging one because it's not as heavy as the other kinds, not to mention that it makes you smell like a giant Dreamsicle, but as long as it has the "Solaplex Photostable UV Filter" (mine says it right on the front) it should do the trick. As far as helping the current one... I've mostly used witch-hazel, which can sting a bit, & Vitamin E oil. Somebody told me not to use Aloe Vera on those kinds of burns but I've heard of people having success with it so I don't really know about that. hope that helps at all!

Thanks for all the great information. I didn't give him the doxycycline today. I'm hoping his LLMD will Rx something comparable tomorrow. There is just no way I can keep a ten-year old, might I add stubborn/cranky ten-year old;) out of the sun. He was Rx'd for three months of doxy and seeing that it's only going to be nicer out as the spring/summer progresses, I don't foresee us being able to keep him out of it!!!

Thanks for all the info! It seems like the hands are particularly vulnerable... Mine are not much better yet and its been 12 days since it started and 5 days since I went off the doxy!

Doxy's a nasty one. It's not a "sunburn", it's called a "Phototoxic rash" & it's a kind of Porphyria. I only clarify cos it makes a difference with how you deal with it. The thing that sucks about them is that once you get one... they just keep on coming. I took my last dose of Doxy yesterday morning because, as my doctor put it, "Unless you plan on never leaving the house, you can't stay out of the sun in Texas".

It took over a month for me to become photosensitive but I was EXTREMELY sensitive once it happened. The first rash came when I had been outside, with sunscreen, for only twenty minutes. My last one was on the top of my hand (I think it's scarred...) five minutes after stepping outside. I had forgotten my sunscreen that day though.

Melissa recommended Ocean Potion sunscreen after the first one & it has worked like a charm at preventing them. I use the anti-aging one because it's not as heavy as the other kinds, not to mention that it makes you smell like a giant Dreamsicle, but as long as it has the "Solaplex Photostable UV Filter" (mine says it right on the front) it should do the trick. As far as helping the current one... I've mostly used witch-hazel, which can sting a bit, & Vitamin E oil. Somebody told me not to use Aloe Vera on those kinds of burns but I've heard of people having success with it so I don't really know about that. hope that helps at all!