ACN Latitudes Forums

ADVICE FOR IVIG THIS WEEK?

I cannot search for it in the forums. Everytime I try- typing in IVIG kicks it out- as search words have to be longer than 4 letters......

So, My 11 yo is having IVIG for the first time (had pex over 3 months ago). Any suggestions on how to get through it well?

does predosing with advil or benadryl work? If so- how do you do it? (how many hours/ day before?)

how does the pre-hydration work? how does it help?

anyone who has had it at g'town-- do they medicate with anything for nausea or benadryl or steroids there?

Please any advice is so appreciated!! If this goes poorly, I will probably lose her cooperation in any further intervention. She is not happy about this :( Pex helped so much & she admits it- but she was so terrified and this is not as scary, but still...

Thanks

This is what we did and I followed it to a T. So far, 4 days later and he is perfectly fine, has been the whole time. We started steroids two days before, during and two after. We hydrated before, during and after. We did Benadryl and Motrin starting that morning and did it every day until Saturday (he finished is IVIG Thursday). He had a little headache on Friday. But he went to school. I had planned on keeping him home, but he was perfectly fine and has remained so. I am not sure if he was just lucky, or if all we did helped.

Rockytop--praying for you.

We may be right behind you--

lmkmip67, thanks for the notes, would you mind giving a few more details if you have them? weight of your child and amount of prednisone for those 6 days, amount of Benadryl and motrin--every 4 hours??

Thank you.

Rockytop--praying for you.

We may be right behind you--

lmkmip67, thanks for the notes, would you mind giving a few more details if you have them? weight of your child and amount of prednisone for those 6 days, amount of Benadryl and motrin--every 4 hours??

Thank you.

Sure. He took 1 tsp of prednisone a day. He is about 52 pounds. Motrin and Benadryl were given every 6 hours, but not during the night. I got three doses a day in, morning, noon and bed time. He took whatever the dose is for his weight, he had chewable tablets, two of Motrin I think and 1 1/2 of Benadryl. Forgive me for not knowing the actual measurement.

My dd11 does the same protocol w/Dr B

She weighs 115lbs, 5'4"

30mg/day starting today for ivig this Wed/Thurs, pred through Saturday.

It really does work to minimize headaches.

Edited by JAG10

My dd has IVIg monthly (since 7/09). We premed with Tylenol and Hydroxzine day of and for two days following (doses based on her weight). According to our Immunologist/Allergist Doc's office studies show that the Hydroxzine is better than Benadryl. You need a Rx for it.

The MOST important thing you can do is drink ALOT of water the day before, of and after. The water flushes the concentrated meds through the system. You can Premed all you want but if the kiddo doesn't drink enough water he/she is going to have problems.