ACN Latitudes Forums

Menstuation

My daughter started with the breast buds @ age 10 (but may have been triggered by risperdal), and it kept seeming like she was going to get her period and lots of PANDAS symptoms were ascribed to her impending menstruation. But she did not actually start her period until shortly after (very shortly after) her 1st course of prednisone at age 15. Turns out, at the same time, she began cutting her 12 year molars, which the dentist tells me come about the same time as menstruation in girls. I don't know if the prednisone contributed to this developmental burst (her doc says they get processed into hormones, or something like that) or if the developmental burst caused the problems that prompted the use of prednisone. She did not have a second period until 2 months later and has been mostly regular since. I'm told though, that girls tend to begin menstruation as they approach the 100 lb mark in their weight (which was true in this case and in the case of both of my other 2 daughters), but that happened with the prednisone as well. It was like my daughter grew from a tiny girl into a woman in the course of 1 week.

I'm told though, that girls tend to begin menstruation as they approach the 100 lb mark in their weight (which was true in this case and in the case of both of my other 2 daughters), but that happened with the prednisone as well.

From what I've been reading they also begin menstruation when they are close to their adult height (according to this article, they may grow another 1-3 inches after they get their period). http://life.familyeducation.com/puberty/menstruation/42264.html

I'm told though, that girls tend to begin menstruation as they approach the 100 lb mark in their weight (which was true in this case and in the case of both of my other 2 daughters), but that happened with the prednisone as well.

From what I've been reading they also begin menstruation when they are close to their adult height (according to this article, they may grow another 1-3 inches after they get their period). http://life.familyeducation.com/puberty/menstruation/42264.html

I swear, after the prednisone, my daughter put on 10 lbs, grew 3 inches, went from an A to a C cup, began menstruation and began cutting her 12 year molars all within a 2 week period! It was like all that growth and development that should have been happening over the previous 3 years descended on her all at once.

how long was she on the prednisone?

Just 5 days. But, maybe she was getting ready for all the changes before that and that's what caused her symptoms to ramp up (dental issues always cause flares)- which prompted us to do the prednisone anyway. We'll never know. But-her symptoms did improve!

Edited by peglem

I also suspect our kids may have a better outcome of being 100% cured the longer we can stall menstruation. Maybe, that is a non-issue (just a my suspicion), but something to think about.

Wondering what your thoughts are here? Why do you think this? I've been wondering how the hormone cycle affects the immune system.

I also suspect our kids may have a better outcome of being 100% cured the longer we can stall menstruation. Maybe, that is a non-issue (just a my suspicion), but something to think about.

Wondering what your thoughts are here? Why do you think this? I've been wondering how the hormone cycle affects the immune system.

I should clarify. I meant to say, if we can get their pandas under control prior to menstruation, I suspect we may have a better outcome. I only say this because of what I have read about lingering symptoms into adulthood with children who were not treated until they were older/teens. This theory is only conjecture on my part.

Dang! I was hoping you had some studies or something! There just seems to be so little difinitive info on how estrogen and progesterone affect immune function. They know that it does have an effect. I do not want my daughter on birth control for birth control, but if it was clear that controlling for hormones could help, I might try that out.