ACN Latitudes Forums

Wow,Its been a while

Its been a VERY long time since I have been on here. Until recently Ethan has been doing great. He has had steroid burst,antibiotics, and IVIG . All which have been very effective until know. He had a case of impetigo about a month and he started blinking real bad,behaviors started to become worse. He was started an antibiotic and a prednisone both of which have been successful in treating his eye tics. It has been two weeks since he started steroid burst nothing! His eye tics are worse than I have seen. Very freaky!

Any suggestions??

Hi, Shirley:

Assuming from your post that Ethan was off abx until this recent relapse? Which abx is he on now, and at what dose? I can tell you that low-dose augmentin did nothing for our ds, but when we cranked that up to treatment dose ("Saving Sammy" dose of XR), it started working wonders, and he's been making progress ever since.

So I'd make sure that the abx dosage is treatment-level, and sustained for long enough to maximize the chances for results.

Impetigo can be caused by GAS, so that might very well explain the flare of symptoms. For our ds, every flare became harder to treat / resolve. Hope you see progress very soon!

Hi, Shirley:

Assuming from your post that Ethan was off abx until this recent relapse? Which abx is he on now, and at what dose? I can tell you that low-dose augmentin did nothing for our ds, but when we cranked that up to treatment dose ("Saving Sammy" dose of XR), it started working wonders, and he's been making progress ever since.

So I'd make sure that the abx dosage is treatment-level, and sustained for long enough to maximize the chances for results.

Impetigo can be caused by GAS, so that might very well explain the flare of symptoms. For our ds, every flare became harder to treat / resolve. Hope you see progress very soon!

What is XR? Dumb question,I know. I need to go back and review the book. What is GAS?

Oops... sorry for the acronyms. GAS is Group A Streptococcus (the strain that causes PANDAS, Sydenham's Chorea, Rheumatic Fever, etc.). XR is shorthand for augmentin eXtended Release - the specific type of abx that Sammy Maloney took in the book "Saving Sammy" (and which our ds has been on for about 18 months).

Hi, Shirley:

What is XR? Dumb question,I know. I need to go back and review the book. What is GAS?