ACN Latitudes Forums

Help ASAP please!

Talk about down to the wire! Dr. R agreed to do 1gm/kg IVIG for ds18 tomorrow, but had to see if Gammunex could be overnighted to the office as he didn't have enough on hand for that. Just got off the phone about 40 min ago with the confirmation that they can get it & we are on for driving to Dallas in the am. IVIG will be around noon to 1pm till 6pm'ish - I hope that's a long enough infusion time not to be a problem.

Now my mind is going nuts trying to remember what is recommended. Plenty of water - I remembered that & began him drinking extra this afternoon. Should he start on ibuprofen & benadryl today or tomorrow morning or just have them on hand for afterward? Should I ask for a steroid Rx for afterward - if so, for a week or two, what's the norm?

Any other advice?

~Grace

Dr. K always administered benadryl before each day of IVIG for our ds. Depending on the situation (symptom severity), he will sometimes administer a steroid (decadron IV, I think?) afterward. Don't know if this is standard for other docs.

He also infused dextrose fluids before and after the IVIG (since Gamunex is incompatible with saline).

Edited by Worried Dad

Our doc encouraged LOTS of fluids.... I paid my ds10 a dollar for every bottle of water or gatorade he would drink over the 4 day period (2 before plus 2 of). Prednisone two days prior, 2 days on, and 2 days afterwards. Bendaryl 2 days of and 2 days afterwards. Motrin 2 days of and afterwards. We did day one of transfusion with no side effects....all good. Sped it up day 2 and had severe headache. Lots to eat as well! Best wishes.....it made a huge difference for us for a week....we're 2 weeks out and I see old ways creeping back in. Can't wait to get it again!