ACN Latitudes Forums

"Mommy, my brain is feeling better"

So my 3 1/2 year old PANDAS son last had strep in late February, and has been on full strength Cefdinir since then - with a 90 day rx. We've just started the last 30 day refill a few days ago.

This exacerbation was a bit different, almost milder in some senses, mostly (we think) to the ERP/CBT that we've been working through with him. We were able to avoid/lessen many a meltdown with those techniques. (And I LOVE how proud of himself he is when he's successful!!)

Last night, after dinner, sitting on the couch with my son on one side and daughter on the other, all snuggled up watching Phineas and Ferb before bed, when my son just casually takes his thumb out of his mouth, and says to me "Mommy, my brain is feeling better." Out of no where, unprompted.

I have to say - it brough tears to my eyes! And we expected this week to be tough for him since it's Spring Break and his "big boy school" (special ed Pre-K) is off and he's in regular day care all week.

For all the questioning we do about if we're doing the right thing (or not!) - you couldn't ask for a better affirmation.

Woo Hoo! Gotta love when it comes from the heart and out of the blue! I love that you were able to do ERP - I don't get why therapists avoid doing it with younger kids. In my experience, it's so much easier when they're little. Good for you!

Here's a toast to the best mother's day present you could ask for!

Laura

That is so nice to hear. My 23 month old expresses his needs so much better than his 8 yr old siblings and it's because for him we caught pandas early and began treatment. I wish my older two were healed already,i can't take much more of this. As much as I talk and explain it's like I'm talking to the wall. They get into these fits where they just whine about something and dont explain what it is that they want...so frustrating and so wonderful to hear that a 3 1/2 year old can express his feelings so well.

That is so great!!

It reminds me of something that happened with my dd one day. Although her's was a response to a prompt. I asked her if she was feeling better and she said "yes." I asked her how and she couldn't really say. Then I asked her where, and she looked at me as if I were an idiot and rocked her head with each syllable as she said, "IN MY HEAD!"

I think it's helpful to know that there really is some sort of "feeling" in their heads...

how wonderful for you and your family and your DS!!!

last week a child came into our office in the early stage of pandas, within weeks of the onset of symptoms. he kept putting his hands on his head and saying to his mom "mommy i feel like my brain is swelling". well, yeah. they do know.

Wow - that's awesome - my son was seven when pandas hit and he did not understand what was happening - therefore he could not explain it so that others could understand. We were clueless. We had to learn a whole new vocabulary - which is difficult when you needed it yesterday.