ACN Latitudes Forums

Sydenhams Chorea

ALways wondered, since this is so close to PANDAS, if anyone ever gets this dx? Dx. info from NIH even includes emotional problems. Info. on the "we move" site, evene mentions OCD. Is it that your child must have rheumatic fever to get this dx? She saw a friend of Dr. Latimer's, a cardiologist, who did r/o RF 2 yrs. ago after her 6-7 month period of strep. Just wondering since my daughter is so movement/tics primary if she could have this.

Guest pandas16

I never got a dx of sidenhams BUT my first strep episode- I developed severe OCD- Second strep - Severe Vocal/Motor tics and arthritis but my second strep episode doctor originally missed. Therefore, they believe I had r/f after my original dx of PANDAS because I have that d8/17 marker and because of the arthritis. In college- after a sinus infection I developed mitral valve prolapse. (heart problem) I'd check everything just to make sure because there are a lot of similarities.

In college- after a sinus infection I developed mitral valve prolapse. (heart problem)

Did a doctor make the connection between the sinus infection and the mitral valve prolapse? Or is it just a given in your mind considering what you know about strep?

To me, it's a no-brainer. My husband's family is full of anxiety and mitral-valve issues. A psychiatrist recommended that he read The Anxiety Disease by David V. Sheehan, M.D. On page 82 it reads, "The Anxiety disease has also been shown to be strongly associated with the presence of a heart condition know as mitral valve prolapse. Among patients with panic attacks, approximately one in every three also has this disorder, which involves a floppy mitral valve in the heart."

Obviously, that stood out to my husband when he read it. This was about three years before we ever heard of PANDAS, and when I began reading about strep and RF, it was an easy leap for me to think that possibly 1/3 of anxiety issues could be strep related. I think there is a low-spectrum of PANDAS that only includes panic attacks, depression and anxiety. I'm just wondering if a doctor made that connection for you.

Edited by Kayanne

Guest pandas16

I had my heart checked every single year since my original dx in 1998- the mitral valve prolapse was diagnosed after my PANDAS symptoms began to come back in college due to a sinus infection. He seemed to think there was a correlation between the mitral valve prolapse and the sinus infection but was not 100% sure.

Edited by pandas16

I had my heart checked every single year since my original dx in 1998- the mitral valve prolapse was diagnosed after my PANDAS symptoms began to come back in college due to a sinus infection. He seemed to think there was a correlation between the mitral valve prolapse and the sinus infection but was not 100% sure.

Now I'm wondering if it is a commonly accepted fact that MVP can be caused by post infectious autoimmunity or just as a component to RF?

A quick read about it on WebMD said nothing about it being triggered by infection. Although, in the comments section, some people mention RF at some point in their life....just one more thing I have to put on my "google list".

Thanks for answering my question.