ACN Latitudes Forums

What the heck am I dealing with here?

DS (10) has had three IVIGs (3rd one finished about 2 weeks ago). He is soo much better in many ways, especially the major irritability, moods, etc. Not gone completely, but much better. The issue now is that if he spends more than 5 minutes with me, he starts acting completely whacky. Hyper, silly, blurting out weird words, sounds, especially potty words ("POOP!!"), can't focus, can't listen, inappropriate laughing, etc. So I am thinking, hmm.. maybe yeast? But WHY ONLY WITH ME?? Could it be a yeast problem if he only shows these behaviors with me? He truly can't stop until I or his father gets SO upset (despite our best intentions) that he tips to the other side and goes into PANDAS-y irritability and irrationality. All of a sudden he's all, "Why do you hate me? I didn't do ANYTHING!! You're so mean! I wasn't doing anything wrong!" He's ALWAYS exhibited this kind of irrational response. He never thinks he's done a thing wrong no matter how bad his behavior. He just can't see it. I know that to be PANDAS, I guess.

I have ALWAYS gotten the brunt of the PANDAS behavior and now I am on the receiving end of this crazy, hyper behavior. What is this?? Could he direct it that way if it was being caused by yeast? Or is this just another oh-so-fun PANDAS stage? I thought the IVIGs were working... not so sure now.

I'm no expert, far from it, but I have been dealing w/yeast for some years, and it sounds just like yeast to me.

Do you think it's possible? On probiotics? How is his eating?

Just what it sounds exactly like to me as I read through it....02 cents.

Also, just wanted to add, I have noticed after our 2 IVIG's my dd6 seems yeasty- probably because in an effort to hydrate, I let her have a lot of juice drinks, and the steroid given w/IVIG can affect/blossom yeast if it is there.

Edited by S & S

We had a lot of silly/age inappropriate behavior in the two months following our one HD IVIG. It peaked around weeks 4-7. DS's sister was the one who brought it out, probably because she laughed at the jokes and being younger, related to the humor. But as for you being the trigger - is it possible that you're around him at particular times of day? Is there something about your relationship - that you're more understanding, more of a listener or confidante, that would bring this out?

We used motrin with moderate success. It didn't fix things, but brought the edginess and "out of control" feelings down to a manageable level (sometimes made the difference between DH and I screaming out of frustration or being calm enough to not become part of the drama).

It may be a matter of riding out the storm, but it may help you feel like you're "doing something" to support the body with anti-inflammatory and detox options. (the lyme forum has a few threads on detox - search on milk thistle, alkaseltzer gold, charcoal, clay, coconut water and maybe others that I'm forgetting).

We saw something similar with my dd last winter but it was only when she was around her brother. She would be great and then within 15 minutes of being around him she would start to have major sx flares. Turned out he had strep. Took her about 7 days after we started treating him to calm down when he was around.

IMO if I were you I would have a rapid and culture done on yourself.

I think there's a few things you could rule out. It does sound like yeast and it could be that mama thing where kids just act up more around the mom. Many on here have said that's the case. You could go and rule out any possible infection in yourself too. Also, have you added or changed anything in his regimen? Have you added any allergy meds in the last month? Some make kids act hyper, overly giddy, etc. Don't only look at what you've done recently, but the last month too. Sometimes if things will have a negative effect, it could take few weeks to see the consequences.