ACN Latitudes Forums

Zyrtek and Tics

I will try to make a long story short, but my son has TS and Pandas. He started getting hives and allergy attacks last summer which I believe ended up being exercise induced.

Anyway, he started Tenex last summer for OCD and then I found out he had a very high strep count and he started being treated for Pandas with an antibiotic. Then, the hives started so I took him off both meds to see if that was the cause (as per doctor's suggestion)

He did not start back on Tenex as his symptoms of OCD were under control, his tics were not that bad either.

I recently started him on Zyrtek for the allergies and it was a miracle - no more hives or allergy symptoms. I was thrilled. However, when we went back to the Neuro last week, we decided to start him back on Tenex for his tics and anxiety - even though they were not very severe. It was my son's choice - he is 10 now and I feel like he should be involved in making choices for himself also. He does not want the tics anymore as they hurt sometimes. He squeezes his muscles and it can be painful.

So, now he has been on Zyrtek for 2 weeks and started a small dosage of tenex a few days ago. His tics have gotten worse and I am not sure why. I know that he does go through periods of bad tics - usually during a growth spurt and times of excitement. We are home for school vacation this week so I can monitor him closely.

My biggest question is - Has anyone experienced an increase in tics while taking Zyrtek?

I am not sure if I should just wait it out and give the Tenex a chance to work. I know his tics usually go away after a couple of weeks, but I am so impatient!!!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks