ACN Latitudes Forums

Reading about Cipro

We switched my son off Cedax and over to Cipro a few days ago. He's also on Azith, Rifampin and CryptoPlus (an herbal). On Friday I looked Cipro up on Wikipedia and ended up in tears. There are some very scary adverse affects listed and it said that they are more common in children. Among the things listed were irreversible peripheral neuropathy, spontaneous tendon rupture, seizures, and acute liver failure - yikes! There were many more, but these were some of the worst. Our doctor has ds10 (70lbs) on 375mg 2x/day for at least a month (that's when our next appointment is). I am going to stop by the doctor's office to pick up a supplement tomorrow and will ask some questions then, but I'm wondering what experiences people here have had with Cipro. Does this dosage sound high/low? How long have your kids been on it? Any adverse reactions? Should I be worried?

Thanks!

We switched my son off Cedax and over to Cipro a few days ago. He's also on Azith, Rifampin and CryptoPlus (an herbal). On Friday I looked Cipro up on Wikipedia and ended up in tears. There are some very scary adverse affects listed and it said that they are more common in children. Among the things listed were irreversible peripheral neuropathy, spontaneous tendon rupture, seizures, and acute liver failure - yikes! There were many more, but these were some of the worst. Our doctor has ds10 (70lbs) on 375mg 2x/day for at least a month (that's when our next appointment is). I am going to stop by the doctor's office to pick up a supplement tomorrow and will ask some questions then, but I'm wondering what experiences people here have had with Cipro. Does this dosage sound high/low? How long have your kids been on it? Any adverse reactions? Should I be worried?

Thanks!

My PANDAS ds was on Cipro for a bit after the tonsillectomy per our then LLMD. He did fine on it, but it was only given for 5 days (sorry, I don't remember the dosage). They put him on Nystatin at the same time (I guess there is a big potential for yeast overgrowth?) Last month my 7yo would not clear strep on Cefprozil, so they gave him Cipro, and I too was quite concerned. What I read said it's not even approved for children unless they've been exposed to Anthrax! Yikes! As it was, my 7yo turned out to be allergic to it (broke out in a rash from head to toe), so we only did 3 days for him. That being said, talk to your doctor. I'm sure we would not prescribe it if he did not think it was safe. I took it for a 2 weeks for pseudomonas (culture came back as resistant to many abxs but susceptible to Cipro), so I guess this stuff is powerful and will get whatever other abxs can't.

Don't know if this is any reassurance but we see an llmd (you can PM me if you want to know who) for my 6 year old son. In our appt last week we were discussing starting Cipro and he felt it was safe and gets criticized unjustly. We may rotate to it in June to treat bartonella- just waiting until school is out before making any changes.

HTH :)

My son (58 lbs) was on cipro plus azith recently for a staph infection. His prescription was 250 mg. twice a day.... so seems like a comparative prescription. Our instructions were to take the azith until our next appointment, but to take the cipro for 2 weeks with one refill for another 2 weeks if I felt like he still needed the cipro. It definitely helped with the staph infection within the two weeks so we did not go the full 4 weeks.

Our LLMD went over all of the side effects that you read about and did say that it was rare, but to be aware of them.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Elizabeth

Hmmm this is interesting because my LLMD says Cipro does nothing for Lyme. I was on it to try to eradicate strep a couple of months ago. It's one of the few abx I can tolerate, but it makes me very antsy and did give me some killer headaches.

Thanks everyone! I stopped by the LLMD's office this morning and spoke to one of the docs about Cipro. She said the only adverse effect they've seen is tendon pain. If that happens, they will take him off it immediately. She said that it will come on somewhat gradually, so that he would feel pain for a while before he'd be at risk of rupturing a tendon. They haven't seen any of the other bad side effects in their patients. So our minds are more at ease now. They are using it to hit the Bartonella harder.

I think we're already seeing herxing from it. First day on it he had behavioral/mood issues, today he has fatigue and headache. So she suggested we have him drink lots of water with a lemon slice and add burbur to his detox regimen.