ACN Latitudes Forums

Allergy questions

Do any of your children have allergies? My DS7 has had an ongoing eye allergy. We are at the one yr mark. Last April, he was sent home w/ what the school thought was pink eye. He was diagnosed w/ allergy eyes and given Patanol, a prescription eye drop. For the past year, if I skip a few days of giving him the drops, his eyes turn bright red, itchy and they swell again. I cannot get him off these drops. Also, for this entire school year, he ends up in the office w/ a mild nose bleed. The office staff know him now. Its never gushing and he handles it all himself. He has had these off and on since he was about 4 or so. However, it was infrequent. A few months back, the office staff let me know my DS is in there at least once a week w/ a mild nose bleed. I just got an email from his teacher that he's had two today. He does not have these nosebleeds frequently at home, just occasionally.

DS was diagnosed PANDAS in Oct 10, after a year of going undiagnosed. He has never been tested for strep when he was sick. He's rarely sick, usually w/ one ear infection a yr. His titers are perfectly normal. He's on azith 250mg sid. Abx has been his only treatment so far.

I would appreciate anyone weighing in before I go crazy. Maybe I'm already there.

Yes, our DS14 has allergies; some years they're more severe than others. We, too, have had the red, itchy, swollen eyes and been prescribed Patanol, but I can't say his need for the drops lasted more than a few days at a stretch.

Does your DS have a tendency to rub his eyes with his hands or make another gesture that could be helping the irritants/allergens get into his eyes more easily? Is it possible his pillow stuffing or laundry detergent for the pillow case is causing a reaction, or a stuffed animal he sleeps with up close to his face?

We see our DS's allergies as just more evidence of his "hyper-immune" state of being. Like your son, he's rarely sick and is even asymptomatic for strep in the classic way . . . just gets increased titers and behaviors when exposed. We find quercitin, Zyrtec and Benedryl to be good friends during allergy season.

Does your DS have a tendency to rub his eyes with his hands or make another gesture that could be helping the irritants/allergens get into his eyes more easily?

Well, now that you mention it, he has a touching ocd. He touches/rubs the inside area of his eye, where the tear ducts are, both hands at the same time, w/ one finger, frequently. So much so that he frequently has scratches next to his nasal bridge from inadvertent scratching while doing his touch/rub thing. Hmmmmm. Never thought of it before.

He does not have typical sneezing, running eyes or nose, type allergy symptoms.

Meant to also say, I use Tide Free detergent and have allergy covers on his pillows and try to keep everything washed frequently.

Edited by nicklemama

When my son had a huge setback with PANDAS and allergies, the first sign of allergies was red eyes. They were so red you couldn't see white. But, we were able to get allergies udner control and the red eyes went away. Allergies are not a year round problem in my house, just seasonal. Interestingly, even though allergies still surface in my son now, those very red eyes do not.Now it is just the classic sniffles, sneezing, and his eyes bother him but no red.No nose bleeds.Does he take a nasal spray for allergies?

Well, now that you mention it, he has a touching ocd. He touches/rubs the inside area of his eye, where the tear ducts are, both hands at the same time, w/ one finger, frequently. So much so that he frequently has scratches next to his nasal bridge from inadvertent scratching while doing his touch/rub thing. Hmmmmm. Never thought of it before.

Our DS used to do the same thing . . . didn't look like a tic, but it was frequent enough, certainly, to constitute a "habit." I'm betting your DS is essentially adding insult to injury, aggravating perhaps a natural allergic reaction until it becomes considerably more severe. Maybe you could try some behavioral modifications to distract him from getting his fingers so close to his eyes so frequently? It might help. Sorry I don't have any specific ideas along those lines . . . our DS gave it up on his own once he realized his eyes hurt less and he could avoid having to get the drops if he stopped rubbing them all the time.

He did have a nasal spray but I thought the nose bleeds were more frequent on it and he seemed irritible on it. We thought it was a reaction to the steroid in Flonase.

Yes, his eyes get so red, they look bloody. If they get really bad, I give him one Claritin for children. A full dose of two tabs seems to make him irritible, but then, it may just be PANDAS. Is anything ever going to be clear again? LOL.

does anybody know where i can buy coconut free and tree nut free toothpaste?? iv already found soaps, shampoos and laundry detergents but no toothpaste.. they have sodium lauryl sulfate which is coconut under a diff name in them all and iv the internet searched up and down but i cant find anything anywhere.. if anybody has anything that can help id b very gratefull thanks!!