ACN Latitudes Forums

Swimming

So does anyone's kids have a small set back when the go swimming?

my dd was doing great and then we took her swimming and there was just me and her in the pool and within 45 mins she started telling me that she knows her PANDAS thoughts are going away and that she has been doing good BUT!!! I keep thinking about that one thought that I keep having

( the one about dying) and I thought to myself ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!

I swear just when we think that things are going to be ok something comes up.

But she seemed to snap out of it again and seems to be doing ok again.

So was it flipping back the pages from ivig #2 or the chemicals from the pool

this never effected her before?

I am at a loss.. like always

Thanks

Tracie

Edited by Doug

my dd was doing great and then we took her swimming and there was just me and her in the pool and within 45 mins she started telling me that she knows her PANDAS thoughts are going away and that she has been doing good BUT!!! I keep thinking about that one thought that I keep having

Thanks

Tracie

If you read Dr. Doris Rapp's book "Is this Your Child?" she helps make sense of non-typical allergy reactions to both food and environmental triggers, like chemicals in the pool. Sometimes these non-typical allergy reactions can present as a neuropathy, similar to PANDAS symptoms. Our daughter had really intense reactions this summer after swimming in an outdoor pool, sometimes hour-long rages, but things improved when we rinsed her off before hand and soaped her down in the showers right after. I kept thinking that it wasn't so much the chlorine but all the other things in the water -- no one really follows the rules about rinsing down before getting in, and everyone's wearing sunscreen, creams, shampoos, all made with chemicals. My daughter often had water in her mouth too. Yuck. We were happy to finally find a local freshwater lake beach and had a much better time.

We did notice this summer that my son seemed hyperactive and irritable last June after swimming a long time at an indoor waterpark. Also it can irritate his eczema. We started epsom salt baths for detox after that, at the suggestion of a friend. I've read that some people make a spray bottle of epsom salt water and spray it on their kids immediately after swimming to help them detox the chemicals like chlorine or whatever. You might research this and see. The episode I mentioned above was before we knew what PANDAS was, and he was mild then, had had two exacerbations, but was closer to 'baseline' at the time.

We also just took him to an indoor waterpark for his birthday a few weeks ago, at about 5 weeks after his IVIG. He was kinda Aspergerish and had some fixated type OCD where he has to do what he wants even before we got there, but he got pretty bad at the pool. Wouldn't get out for the life guard breaks and screamed, hit and tried to scratch me. We figured he was tired, hungry, over excited. . .but the chemicals in the pool may have contributed. I brought epsom salts to the hotel, and immediately put him in the tub with salts each time we finished swimming.

It's so hard to tell . . . . .My son (age 6) cycles through symptoms rapidly (few days of tics, few days of OCD, then hyperactivity, ADHD, emotional labili

Has your child's symptoms subsided after some time away from swimming? Did she take a bath right after to rinse off the pool water, at least?

Best wishes, Tammy

Hi Tammy sorry I messed up your reply..

yep she seems ok now it was short lived

but I am going to try the epsom salt with us next week

Thanks

Tracie

My dd had a very severe classic presentation of pandas in the summer of 2007. After reading others mention it on here, I had wondered if the pool made her worse, but on hindsight I really don't think it did (for her). She had IVIg in November of 2008 and has done extremely well since. She has been taking weekly and sometimes twice weekly swimming lessons for the past 2 years and does not have any issues from it whatsoever, but she was pretty much fully recovered after her IVIg. She showers off after her swim lessons and washes her hair with a 'swimmer's' shampoo, but we don't see any changes if she is in the water all day and doesn't.

Also, I wanted to mention that I agree that epsom salt baths are wonderful!!! You would not believe the amount of epsom salt I go through, it's almost embarrassing to go to the store and buy it. Anyway, I am the one who mostly uses it in the baths, mostly for relaxation but also I love what it does for my skin and hair. I don't have any problem at all with soaps or shampoos making the skin or scalp itchy or yucky. I bathe in it daily, sometimes twice daily! My dd also loves it, she has at least one, maybe two baths per week in it. I use about 2-3 cups of the stuff in a jetted bathtub. I find it very calming and relaxing to soak in it.