ACN Latitudes Forums

Do any of your kids play sports?

I was just wondering if anyones kids play sports. My oldest is too sick to play but my middle child i have just started in softball. She has some severe leg pain at times, but alot of the time she is still able to play. Usually i give her motrin before a practice or a game and she does good but then again alot of the times afterward she is so tired and her legs start to hurt again.

My Dd10 plays sports avidly. We have, for the most part, been able to keep them up. It keeps her spirits up, and also helps her sleep. When she complains of pains (rarely) I give her advil. Sometimes she is tired, but I try to get her to her sports anyway - even tired she is a good, strong athlete, so she doesn't stand out as lazy or anything like that. We do have issues with equipment and contamination, hers, ours, other kid's, you name it. It takes her a very long time to dress for hockey and soccer. But all in all sports continue to be a very positive experience for her, a bright spot in all of this. I am also told that exercise helps the antibiotics along the neural pathways, so regular exercise is excellent for lyme.

• 2 weeks later...

mandy -- my ds9 plays baseball. he's had a rough start to the season but he's been with this same coach for 3 seasons so they've been very understanding and have cut him many breaks with missing practices and not wanting to fully participate. during basketball in the winter, he was getting horribly winded. he used an albuterol inhaler that seemed to help. this was in the beginning of TBI treatment so i don't know if it was general symptoms or herx-like symptoms.

about 2 mths ago, he was having trouble keeping up with the other kids when running the outside of the baseball field even with the inhaler. he'd drop off half way around and need to walk. i started giving him choloroxygen (liquid chlorophyll - supposed to help the red blood cells carry oxygen - ?) drops before practice. now that games have started, they're not really doing that running. i don't know if it helps or not but he now takes it before a game.

i can't remember you dd's diagnosis. i think it is babesia for ds that is causing the breathing and endurance issues. he's doing better now -- likely due to improvement due to treatment. he was enjoying running the length of the football field the other day.

Despite her pain, dd9 has stayed very active. Her sport of choice is swimming. She joins the summer swim team and does very well. Last year, before our lyme diagnosis, she found that the only place she felt really good was in the water. I just hated what the chlorine did to her skin. She did join the winter swim clinic to stay in shape but we found it was too hard to continue to do that during the school year.

dd8 is not up for any sports. I'm happy to get her to a bounce house or out to a park to just get some movement.

Susan

I was just wondering if anyones kids play sports. My oldest is too sick to play but my middle child i have just started in softball. She has some severe leg pain at times, but alot of the time she is still able to play. Usually i give her motrin before a practice or a game and she does good but then again alot of the times afterward she is so tired and her legs start to hurt again.

My son has been playing travel soccer all along. His knee and heel bother him at times, but he can manage (only a couple of times he had to step off the field). I think it's good for them to be active and sweat a lot, and my son does better when he is busy anyway. Just make sure they are well hydrated. His coach knows what he is going through and has been great.

Edited by mati's mom

My son plays baseball and basketball. His main symptom is brain fog so that has made it a struggle for him to remember the plays but thankfully my husband is one of the baseball coaches so he does a lot of repetition with him on non practice days. Basketball season was another story but he loves the game and has the ability so hopefully once the brain fog clears, he can play to his potential. I know it frustrates him to not remember things but I also know he would be lost without sports and when he does accomplish things like making a basket or scoring a run, it really builds his confidence which is a big deal right now.

The only sport DS7 has been able to stick with is soccer. We tried swimming but he always gets fevers after we go to the pool. We tried skating, but that was a sensory nightmare with the tight skates, helmet, and the music blaring on the arena radio. When he started soccer he was moved up a league and he was very good, even with kids 2-3 years older. Last year he started out strong. He was getting goals every game and was one of the best on his team. Then half way through the season he grew fatigued and could barely even play. We noticed this happened the year before too. One day he actually walked off the field and curled up in a ball on the ground in front of me. It got so bad that I was embarrassed to even go to soccer because he was standing in the field doing nothing. But we stuck it out and the coach tried to help by putting him in goal. He refused to touch the ball (germs?). :wacko: So we're signed up to play soccer again this year, starting in a few weeks, and I'm wondering (dreading) how that will go. He is not diagnosed with lyme, but we are waiting on passports to see a LLMD in the U.S. after realizing the only LLMD in Canada is not allowed to treat outside of IDSA guidelines. He has PANDAS and I am positive for lyme.