ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone tried Cipro for Seronegative Mycoplasma?

Hi Everyone,

Dr. T just switched my son's antibiotic to Cipro because our entire family tested positive for mycoplasma (IgG's in the 200's, IgM negative) except for my PANDAS son (IgG < 100). Dr. T said this was very unusual because it was highly unlikely that my PANDAS son would have been that exposed to mycoplasma and not gotten it. He suggested that perhaps my son is seronegative (does not create antibodies for mycoplasma). If this is true, my son may have mycoplasma but would be unable to clear it on his own (because his body can't create antibodies against it). He said Cipro is the drug used to clear mycoplasma when you can't do it yourself. He put my son on a 10-day course of Cipro starting today.

I was curious if anyone else has tried Cipro and had success. I am aware of the side effects.

Thank you.

tampicc,

I'm not sure what to say about your husband's walking pneumonia as it was two years ago. The titers Dr. T was looking at for our family were run last month. My son's labwork was done through Labcorp and normal is <100. So my son's was less than <100, but I don't know the exact number (just says "<100"). Our family titers were all in the 200's for IgG with a negative for IgM. So everyone except my son had clearly high IgG titers. Dr. T said this would mean we all got mycoplasma pneumonia, yet our PANDAS son did not. This is possible, just unlikely. But my children are older so I don't have issues with them drinking behind each other, etc. They don't even use the same towel when they wash their hands. So it is possible that he just didn't get the mycoplasma. The only other possibility would be that he just isn't creating mycoplasma antibodies.

I realize this is just a hunch on the part of Dr. T. But I am willing to at least try Cipro. He said we should see improvement by Monday with lots of improvement when the 10 days are up. So I guess I'll know soon enough. I'll try to remember to post.

Interestingly, I read over the internet that Cipro is used for lyme. I don't think my son has lyme, but I did think that was interesting.

Thanks for sharing that about Cipro. Dealing with myco p here. Son had negative IgM but positive IgG & we went on Biaxin (switched from zith) & (KNOCK ON WOOD) seem to be seeing good results from that (which means we get to hold off on a steroid burst, which I didn't wanna do if I didn't need to do it). In the meantime, my husband has been sick since Dec, & had a neg IgM & neg IgG myco p test in Feb...then a retest in March showed positive IgM. They weren't going to give him anything for it, saying it was a past infection. It took me 4 working days & a weekend to talk to that dr's office to get hubby some abx...Biaxin too. Since they're both creating IgG, we probably just didn't catch the IgMs or I've read that sometimes adults don't make them in reinfection. My husband was on Cipro to clear myco p 2.5 years ago. I'm not sure that it ever cleared & might've gone chronic. He seems to get sick with it every year (usually starts with a sinus infection...then he stays sick), but he's only been tested/treated that once. At this last appt, where they said it was a past infection, they told him he had mild asthma...had given him steroids & an inhaler & Nasonex. I'm pretty sure that dr is not gonna be open to a possible chronic myco p infection, but maybe he will be. I've never had myself tested for myco p...need to get that done somehow. I do know that when I trace our path back, that when my husband was sick that we saw behavior issues with our son. He was never tested for myco p, but did have "bronchitis" once, which was also at the same time my hubby was sick.

Hope the Cipro does the trick for you!

Hi,

Dr. T gave my son cipro too, after being on azithromycin and then biaxin. We never retested but I think at that time he did improve, I'm wondering if he has mycoplasma again because his ocd is crazy. We are treating for bartonella via clinical diagnosis so may just be herxing. I hope it helps your son. By the way I took cipro for uti and pediatrician said was OK to continue breastfeeding.

Hi,

Dr. T gave my son cipro too, after being on azithromycin and then biaxin. We never retested but I think at that time he did improve, I'm wondering if he has mycoplasma again because his ocd is crazy. We are treating for bartonella via clinical diagnosis so may just be herxing. I hope it helps your son. By the way I took cipro for uti and pediatrician said was OK to continue breastfeeding.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post that my son has been on Cipro for 10 days with no improvement. So I guess he didn't have mycoplasma. Dr. T said if he did, it was very, very unlikely that he would still have it after 10 days of Cipro. So at least we have ruled that out. Thank you all for your responses.