ACN Latitudes Forums

Strep has entered the building

After having a strep free house for two years, strep has entered the building. We found out we were directly exposed and brought our non-PANDAS daughter in first. Rapid was positive. No sore throat, no fever. We think my dd has had strep for possibly 6 days. All 3 of my kids have been put on Omnicef. We are not having the PANDAS son or my other son tested just because they were given the scripts already, don't want to expose them to more germs at the office,and to be honest we have horrible insurance and even strep visits are expensive.

The last few days, my PANDAS son has been okay.Hopefully, it will stay that way. To our knowledge, he's never been "just exposed" before. He has always had strep when someone else in the family had strep.He was taking prophylatic Pen VK and had his tonsils removed in Feb 2009.

For those that don't know our background, 3 strep triggered PANDAS exacerbations since 5th birthday. Remission since Sept 2009. Symptoms: oh, boy, I can't type those now. Too much of a reality of what we could possibly face.

Edited by Vickie

Vickie-

You are such a rock for everyone here!

I know the stress you must be feeling.

I just want to let you know- we have the worst imaginable here- two pandas kids, both with strep, and (fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc, etc) so far, they are okay.

Hang in there- keep us posted...

So far, so good. Fingers crossed, knock on wood. My husband went today and they gave him Omnicef as well.They only did a culture on him. My husband wanted to know if he had it as oppose to just getting the script. I was able get the doc who gave my the Bactrim, to switch it to Keflex after a couple phone calls. He tried saying that Bactrim would be fine for strep but it has a high failure rate and you know we can't afford that.Right now we continue in wait and see mode. I'd like to think that my PANDAS son started the Omnicef without any PANDAS symptoms present so it will remain that way,but I also know that when he has had strep before, it worsens for a few days after starting antibiotics. So, our first milestone will be maybe one week after starting antibiotics. If he is still stable, I think we can say no strep.

The second milestone is retesting the + child. You know I won't feel safe until my daughter goes for a follow up in a few weeks and tests negative.

I also decided I will do routine testing on her and my other asymptomatic son every month or so at home. It's so scary to think there was no reason to test her except for someone being nice enough to tell us they had strep when they saw us (they didn't know they had strep when they saw us).

Side note, my dd4 that tested positive is showing no PANDAS symptoms (she's one of my non-PANDAS children). So, she's had strep twice now with no sign of impending, possible PANDAS.That's good.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I took my daughter for a follow up strep test and rapid was negative! Still waiting on culture which my gut cautiously tells me negative. My PANDAS son remained well and my 4 year old non-PANDAS daughter never showed any signs of impending PANDAS.

I feel like we dodged a bullet laced with strep. I am very thankful.

Update:

I took my daughter for a follow up strep test and rapid was negative! Still waiting on culture which my gut cautiously tells me negative. My PANDAS son remained well and my 4 year old non-PANDAS daughter never showed any signs of impending PANDAS.

I feel like we dodged a bullet laced with strep. I am very thankful.

I'm betting it's all that Good Mommy Karma! :D Good going! You've earned it!