ACN Latitudes Forums

Aluminum toxicity and Bentonite

In the never-ending quest to get the kids back to 100% normal, we went ahead and did the hair testing. Aluminum is high, and so is copper. Now we sort of new about the copper thing and just changed the water treatment system in the house, but I could not see where the Aluminum would be coming from. We don't "do" any the things that are listed as possible sources. So I googled some more, and one site said to avoid Bentonite... Anyone know any more about this???

Incidentally, their lithium is low, and both high Aluminum and low lithium are risk factors for Alzheimer's :wacko:

Edited by mati's mom

I don't know about the clay, I've never used it, but there is a nice supplement from New Beginnings called Lithium Ionic- it is liquid drops- it is NOT like the prescription for lithium- tasteless, easy to slip in a drink- my dd also tested low lithium when I did metals testing on her, I used this for a little while.

About the aluminum- as they have pulled the mercury out of vaccines, they have added more aluminum :-(

Not sure how to get that 'out.' I do cook on unbleached parchment paper.

I recently found out that I have very high aluminum myself. My ND is treating some other things before even addressing it (apparently my body can't handle us working on all the things at the same time...YIKES!). She asked where I had gotten the aluminum, & I wasn't sure. I haven't had another appt, but I did have a tetanus shot last summer. I also did weekly allergy shots last summer, 2 shots each week. I need new pots & pans too. The paperwork said to avoid foods in cans except tuna & beans. She mentioned using BioRuella once we get to addressing the aluminum, but I don't know any more than that. Good luck.

I don't know about the clay, I've never used it, but there is a nice supplement from New Beginnings called Lithium Ionic- it is liquid drops- it is NOT like the prescription for lithium- tasteless, easy to slip in a drink- my dd also tested low lithium when I did metals testing on her, I used this for a little while.

About the aluminum- as they have pulled the mercury out of vaccines, they have added more aluminum :-(

Not sure how to get that 'out.' I do cook on unbleached parchment paper.

Did you see any improvement once you addressed that? I don't know what to believe any more!

Hi-I did not, no, but then again, we had unknown PANDAS at the time- I am on a GFCF board, and other women on there like it- says it can even help with PMS ;-) They took lithium out of drinking water a long time ago, I think many may be low, but there is also a connection with being high in metals/low lithium.

The New Beginnings drops are a pretty tame product, IMO, if taken just a drop or so. I haven't retested her to see where her lithium is now. Too many other things going on.

We also switched to all stainless steel pans about 2 years ago...

I thought if the hair teat showed high aluminum that it meant they were excretimg it which is a good thing.

?????

My understanding is that heavy metals start building up in the body, the brain, and lastly they build up in the hair, so if you find them in the hair, it's a pretty good indication that you have build up in the body and brain. But don't quote me on that!

Hi-I did not, no, but then again, we had unknown PANDAS at the time- I am on a GFCF board, and other women on there like it- says it can even help with PMS ;-) They took lithium out of drinking water a long time ago, I think many may be low, but there is also a connection with being high in metals/low lithium.

The New Beginnings drops are a pretty tame product, IMO, if taken just a drop or so. I haven't retested her to see where her lithium is now. Too many other things going on.

We also switched to all stainless steel pans about 2 years ago...

Thanks for the reply. LLMD said is is very safe to supplement with OTC lithium, 5 to 10mg daily, so we'll go ahead and do that, plus up some other minerals that were low. I've been reading a lot and it seems for what my kids have (no lead or mercury, thank God!), increasing calcium/magnesium plus adding vitamin C, malic acid, etc, should be very helpful. The LLMD also recommended a specific supplement but going by the description I found online does not seem to make any sense, so I'll have to check back with the office before I shell out yet more $$$ in supplements :)

Edited by mati's mom

I thought if the hair teat showed high aluminum that it meant they were excretimg it which is a good thing.

?????

My understanding is that heavy metals start building up in the body, the brain, and lastly they build up in the hair, so if you find them in the hair, it's a pretty good indication that you have build up in the body and brain. But don't quote me on that!

Back when I followed the autism research a little more, researchers were astounded to find that the autistic kids had much lower hair mercury than controls. But when they did a provocation test, the autistic kids were dumping more mercury in urine than the controls. They thought the possible explanation was that the autistic kids were "poor excreters", and their immune systems are not detoxing properly.

I don't like to use hair testing for that reason...hard to interpret what the results really mean.

We did the hair test, and we also did the french porphyrin test for metals.

On the hair test, there are ranges for the metals excreting- yes, it is good to show metals excreting that does mean the body is detoxing them, because we are exposed to them every day- but it can also show if metals are excreting in the high range. And then, there is this whole other thing called the 'counting rules' by Andrew Cutler, and his interpretation of the hair tests.

Yes, many kids on the spectrum were showing not excreting any mercury, mercury settles in the brain and organs.

And lead settles in the bones.

Pleasant, right? NOT.

Before I got our PANDAS dx, I had started chelation with DMSA (low dose, every 4 hours on weekends.)

Got to round 5, and it unleased the worst ever PANDAS exaberation I've ever seen- which led us finally to PANDAS.

Did she get strep at school, or was it the DMSA lettng loose bacteria? I don't know, but I'll never do it again.

By the way, my dd is not on the autism spectrum. But sure has a messed up gut/immune system.

The only metal we tested somewhat high for was mercury, from the French test, she was fully vaxed, including the Hep B mercury vaccine at 2 days old in the hospital.

Interesting Peg-

A doc we saw wanted to do the hair testing on my girls. They are a little fragile from pandas/ procedures/ meds and when they heard some hair had to be cut off- they both burst into tears. I really don't think I can do this to them at this point.

I have also heard hair testing is unreliable, and the labs that do it have dwindled considerably. Saw some research that backed this up.

Thoughts?

I personally like the French porpyrins test, at labbio.net

It is what some DAN! Doctors use, or they use a provacation test with a urine collection immediately following to see what it pulls. I was uncomfortable doing the provacation test, it involves giving a rather high 1x dose of DMSA, or another chelator.

The French test, Laboratoire Philippe Auguste, is a kit they send you to collect first morning urine, no chelator involved, and everything you need to send it back.

The results can be hard to interpret, but I have an article than explains a lot, and know a bit about it if you are ever interested, I could give you my .02 cents.

You can google the test for a better explanation :-)

S&S

We did the French test a few times. It showed elevated mercury aluminum and lead. Not knowing anything about pandas even after impetigo and rectal strep, we did iv chelation 14 times. 1st 10 iv's we used aluminum and lead chelator. Ds dumped both of these metals but never in the high range. We went after mercury but we never saw it on the pee test.

I don't know if chelation ever gave us any improvements. The speech teacher tested his auditory comprehension and he went from the 9th percentile to the 75th but she tested him in the spring and we always improve in the spring.

When I showed dr k the poryphrin test he said "those tests

come out the same for every kid!"

I didn't question him further about it. I do remember a former Dan dr telling me that the levels for all the kids on the spectrum are similar .

• 2 years later...