ACN Latitudes Forums

Glad you are there

Guest patakay

An American psychiatrist told me the following:-

(QUOTE)

"In cases of ADD/Tourettes, the Tourettes can be CAUSED by the Ritalin...that is to say, the tics FOLLOW from the steady dopamine over-transmission/hypersenitivity.

Too much dopamine leads the brain to compensate with elevated ACH (*acetylcholine), and it is the ACH which produces many of these facial and vocal disturbances.

Alternatively, the longer the dopamine imbalance (*caused by the medications) continues, the greater the likelihood of Dopamine Supersensitivity......the Dopamine Supersensitivity is responsible for tardive symptoms (the long-lasting deformities of the muscles).

It is unclear to me if some of these long-lasting facial tics (technically, dystonias because they are spasms) are not better understood or classified as Tardive dystonias, but here I will have to resume my studies to be CLEAR about the difference between tardive dystonia vs. tardive dyskinesias.

I believe that dystonias are thought to be mediated by ACH (acetylcholine), while dyskinesias are thought to be mediated by dopamine....but this is complicated."

(UNQUOTE)

Guest Lisa M.

My son, now age 14, was diagnosed with TS at age 8. We started seeing symptoms at age 4, so we've been at this for a little while. For us, the most intense period was about 8-11 or so. I've heard that recent studies are showing that for many the most intense time is pre-adolescence. That proved true for us. He has very few tics now, but there was a time we struggled with even going to the grocery store, because he was squatting every few steps, and making grunting noises. The best advise I received came from our family doctor, actually, who told me I needed to take frequent breaks. Sounds simple, but it turned out to be really helpful. Sometimes I think as moms, especially, we tend to get in the habit of neglecting our own well-being. And dealing with constant tics can wear you down. I found it very helpful, esp. while in the thick of it, to go out by myself as often as I could. Even it was just to the post office. Come up for air. We also found adding aminos to our sons vitamin therapy, and avoiding caffeine and sugar as much as possible helped as well. But it's different for everybody. Hang in there...you gonna get through. And take some time for yourself. You're allowed! Best wishes, Lisa from Okla.

Guest Sherry Gualano

Hi

My son is 9 yrs old and we have been dealing with the Tourrettes since he was 4 yrs old. He went for 1 year with no tics. Then they came back and are even worse now. That was a big let down. I also feel sometimes you need to just do something for yourself by yourself to get refreshed again. You feel so helpless sometimes. I know myself I am always looking for some new way to help him maybe relieve his tics. We are looking into yoga for him and I'm thinking about myself also. Good luck to you and your family. You'll get thru it.

Sherry

hi i am new to this forum and cant find instructions on how to use it. my son has ts and was diagnosed at age five right before kindergarden. he is how eight. at times it feels so lonely we have tried meds and our doctor wants to try another but im not ok with it. we have good and bad times. you are welcom to email me at csacreed@aol.com i am experimenting with no dyes milk etc. i dont know what else to do. he is starting to have problems with school etc. not understanding and so on. someone please reply and tell me how to use this forum.

god bless

carrie

Hi

My son is 9 yrs old and we have been dealing with the Tourrettes since he was 4 yrs old. He went for 1 year with no tics. Then they came back and are even worse now. That was a big let down. I also feel sometimes you need to just do something for yourself by yourself to get refreshed again. You feel so helpless sometimes. I know myself I am always looking for some new way to help him maybe relieve his tics. We are looking into yoga for him and I'm thinking about myself also. Good luck to you and your family. You'll get thru it.

Sherry

sherry

my story sounds like yours. we were four when we were diagnosed now my son is eight. what a long four years it has been. i am new to this forum and cant figure out how to use but would love to chat via email with you csacreed@aol.com it is a lonely feeling out there for us moms. i think i posted another message i cant figure this out. please reply

i highly recommend the site www.lifesatwitch.com

a site of a highly successfull man with TS - his tics are very pronounced and loud - no hiding them - my daughter has TS - the speach she did in grade 5 has been posted on this website - it is hard to find - but it is there

Hello Neenee

Please tell me exactly what you need help with regarding the use of the forum. I see you have successfully made 4 posts, so you are doing well so far. There is a help button in the top right corner of the screen that answers the most common problems with using the forum. Please let me know if there is something specific you need help with.

Thanks

Chris

• 1 month later...

:D

Hi my name is Anne and I am 13 years old and have been dealing TS since I was 8. It had proved very challenging over the years and have had many break downs. I have learned a way that helps relieve the urge of vocal tics. When having vocal tics most can feel the urge come from in the chest area. What I do is I breathe as deeply as I can until I can't breathe in anymore and then I slowly let it out. If it doesn't go away then I do it again until it does. Probably 97% of the time it proves to be very efficient.

I have also noticed through out the years of doing this I have had less and less of an urge to have vocal tics.

I hope this helps.

Anne

• 6 years later...
For some unknown reason -Taurine , an aminoacid , tests deficient in many Tourette children. Using this nutritional supplement in doses of 500 mg up to 3 times daily has helped many kids. This nutrient is very safe.

I'd really need to know more information about Taurine in that case. I tried it and it made me wildly psychotic. I believe its the active ingredient in Red Bull Energy Drink which they are trying to ban. I well understand this post is 7 years old and clinical knowledge may have been updated and maybe it was the brand or strength I took but I know there have been overall concerns about Taurine and another natural remedy I took Tyrosine which sped up my blood pressure to the point where I almost ended up in the emergency room. I tend to believe that these natural remedies could be helpful if the compounds were isolated and developed as medications but what a person gets from the health food store shelves is often an unknown quantity.