ACN Latitudes Forums

Autism Awareness Day is coming up, y'all!

Does anyone have plans?! I know this year's theme is "Light it Up Blue", but I don't think anyone in our town would be at all curious, much less enough so to ask, about why our lights were blue. I was figuring I'd just make another t-shirt but wanted to try to do something a little more creative than that! Hmph. If we don't end up doing anything as a family, I might be volunteering at the Special Olympics that day but I was just wondering if anyone had cool ideas for things to do. Let's all brainstorm!

For those in NE Ohio (I think Pittsburgh as well), Panera Bread is donating all of the profits from the sale of puzzle piece shortbread cookies to Autism Speaks. They are available April 1-8 and you can pre-order if you want. I'm not affiliated with them at all, just noticed it when I was eating lunch there yesterday!

My personal plan is to drop notes to those I know in the community and say Thank You - either for the work they do or for just doing their best to raise a child who can bring unique gifts and lessons to the world.

I'm gonna ask my Health Science teacher if we can do something special for it, even if it's just reading an article or something. If she'd let me do a presentation I'd totally be up for it!

So far I have come up with no better ideas than a shirt though. :( I checked out the official events page & the majority of them are things I can't replicate or do on a smaller scale, even. Bleh. So awesome about all of the offers for Autistic families! The only thing I've found around here is that the Dallas Museum of Art is opening a few hours early exclusively for Autistic families. They're gonna have a kid-friendly exhibit, too. Can't imagine many Autistic children liking their usual collection too terribly much, haha.

After searching through LOTS of designs online I think I'm gonna do a "Peace, love, Autism" shirt. Some of the ones online were awesome but I'm a cheapskate & have to make everything on my own, hahah. In my experience there have been many times when I've braced myself for people not being understanding when I tell them that my brother is Autistic... only to find out that they don't even know what it is. "Does that mean he's retarded?" "Those are the people who can't talk, right?" So on, so forth. Hopefully this one will be a tad more successful than the Rare Disease Day one. I think that it will be since most people have at least heard of Autism, as opposed to TS-L & P.A.N.D.A.S.

I hope everyone's having an awesome day & that we're able to think of something great to do!