ACN Latitudes Forums

Choreiform movements in hands

My daughter, who is backsliding currently, although on her ABX regimine, has return of choreiform movements in the right hand/arm-"piano playing," flailing arm, looking through her curved hand as she holds it up in front of her eye, and her signature curling her pinky finger and "swatting the bugs" movement. These are the best ways I've learned to describe these movements & are all in her dominant right hand, with minimal movement-more piano playing-like in her left. Her throat clearing tics and some choreiform movements of the tongue are also present. IS this pattern what you've seen in your kids?

We see Dr B for a f/u visit on Monday, so holding on to see what he suggests. MAybe it's time to switch ABX or up the dose (whereas we were hoping to cut the dose, as she'd been doing well for months).

Looking forward to reading your input,

Thanks, Amy

Hi Amy,

My dd has choreiform movements in her hands pretty much as you described. She does the piano playing movements almost constantly unless she is very relaxed. She does both hands though and seems to be oblivious to it. When my son was at his worst several years back, he would hold his hands together and complain that they wouldn't be still. I think his were both as well. I'm sure it's different for all kids, just like they all have different types of tics at different times. Good luck with your visit with Dr. B.

Dedee

Thanks for the replies. She seems to have them the more relaxed she is, when the rest of her body is still. AS she was falling asleep next to me last night, I could feel her right leg move/twitch, then throat clearing, followed by the finger movements. IF she is engaged in gross motor movement, these movements appear non-existent.

Would these suggest a current infection?