ACN Latitudes Forums

Please..not the 2nd child

Can anyone share their thoughts? I'm a bit Lyme paranoid already but not sure now what to think. DS4 has Pandas/Lyme. Now his twin brother has some odd symptoms (or maybe their just stages...???)

About 6 months ago - changed personlity. went from sweet child to sporadic anger. (thought he was jealous of his brother)

Recently, had several daytime peeing accidents (while playing in his own home), then #2 accidents, several this past week during the day. Today, he had a #2 accident at school. Never even tried to go into the bathroom. He's developed sudden constipation problems.

Last night, ice cold hands. that passed. Then red hot ear. That passed.

Gets easily frustrated at home.But now, getting "very frustrated" at school according to his teacher....only when he can't identify numbers.

She said he doesn't know 1-5. But at home, he knows every single number??!

He's not had separation anxiety, but has been hiding outside his PreK door, acting shy. Fine once he gets inside.

Any thoughts? I'm now terrified we have a 2nd child with Lyme!! We're seeing Dr. B in 2 weeks, who I'm sure will say have him tested.

Do you think he needs more symptoms to have it? Would really appreciate anyone's experiences/thoughts.

HAAAAA!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

That doesn't sound good to me. My oldest(DD5) is the one with PANDAS/Lyme, so I have never really gotten to experience true "stages" to know what might be typical. My second child is the most easy going child in the world (thank God) so I can certainly understand your uestioning whether it could be a stage. But I would say 2 things. Your instinct is right. If you think this is odd for your child, then it is odd. Go with it. The other is that everything you describe is a red flag to me. The separation anxiety is the only thing missing.

Thankfully you have been through this once and are already with a practioner, hopefully one you trust. Hopefully it will be easier with the second child. I'm so sorry this is happening to your family. I can really not imagine having the energy to do this again. Our LLMD assumes our easygoing younger child also has Lyme. Thankfully she is not pushing us to pursue it yet. I'm so out of energy.

Can anyone share their thoughts? I'm a bit Lyme paranoid already but not sure now what to think. DS4 has Pandas/Lyme. Now his twin brother has some odd symptoms (or maybe their just stages...???)

About 6 months ago - changed personlity. went from sweet child to sporadic anger. (thought he was jealous of his brother)

Recently, had several daytime peeing accidents (while playing in his own home), then #2 accidents, several this past week during the day. Today, he had a #2 accident at school. Never even tried to go into the bathroom. He's developed sudden constipation problems.

Gets easily frustrated at home.But now, getting "very frustrated" at school according to his teacher....only when he can't identify numbers.

He's not had separation anxiety, but has been hiding outside his PreK door, acting shy. Fine once he gets inside.

Any thoughts? I'm now terrified we have a 2nd child with Lyme!! We're seeing Dr. B in 2 weeks, who I'm sure will say have him tested.

Do you think he needs more symptoms to have it? Would really appreciate anyone's experiences/thoughts.

HAAAAA!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

So sorry you are dealing with this. I already have my #2 under treatment, but it took me a while to see/accept that something was going on. For her, the symptoms were different than my ds, we think her main problem is Bartonella, and that brings a lot of the "head" stuff, without too many physical symptoms. I would say cognitive problems were a big red flag for me, and I kind of see that in your post. My daughter was suddenly stumpped by concepts that she had long ago mastered, like she can still "do" the Math, but somehow she cannot fully grasp the concept and that gets her frustrated. It's like she knows she should be getting this, but somehow something is not clicking? Another symptom for her was fears and anxiety, very out of character.

So I am not "diagnosing" your child, but all I can say is that if you as a mom see some unexplained changes, get it checked out, and just be open minded that you may get a negative result and have to go on symptoms alone. I would say start writing down what you see so you don't draw a blank when you go to the doctor and they ask you why you are there (that always happens to me!)

It so heart-wrenching to have to go through this the second time around. I have come to accept this and whatever else might come, but at some points I do wonder, when will this all end???

(Do you think he needs more symptoms to have it? Would really appreciate anyone's experiences/thoughts.

i think what you express sounds very suspect. i think it's very hard b/c unless it's an extreme onset - like for ds6 - where we certainly knew something was very, very wrong and there was no way not to attend to it, it can always be passed off as a "phase" or some other reason.

we have recently begun treating ds9, 2nd child. he's always had some things that only a pandas/lyme mom would really see as troublesome -- some inappropriate upsets, poor sportsmanship, that i had wondered about. he had a bit of a personality change from very easy-going to more demanding, complaining (but still not too bad) around age 6. he went to a montessori school and that theory is there are 'planes of development'. age 6 is entering a new one where these types of changes are common-place. at this time also, he had an unexplained knee pain that lasted a few days -- he limped or had to be carried - it never changed so i believe it was real. dr found nothing. it was after one of the first weekends of baseball. at that time, i had a sinus infection, ds6 had eye pain. 6 months later, ds6 had sudden onset pandas. i now think it has to all be related. he's occasionally complained of knee/ankle pain.

this fall, he ramped up with not being able to be on a separate floor of the house by himself, worry about his baseball cards being stolen, more complaints of sore ankle or knee. i once remarked to dh, "are we waiting for him to fall apart before taking him?" of course, you're trying not to freak out and these drs are expensive - so you want to be sure.

well, i guess we were b/c a week or two later he started having "bad thoughts" before bed and waking every night to pee, which he has never done.

dr diagnosed lyme, bartonella, babesia, erlichia, strep, CMV. the separation anxiety, peeing, ankle/knee have all improved. he's into a new inattentive brain fog that i hope will soon pass.

i hope for you it could just be a phase in normal development, but i think if you have one, you must take all clues as serious from another.

HAAAAA!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

I recommend that anyone with one child with Lyme get all kids and parents checked for Lyme and ideally thru igenex. This way you know the family's exposure. I and our llmd were surprised that we all had exposure. When symptoms started we knew what it was and the others got treated mug faster than my oldest child. You can never be certain but if symptoms improve on antibiotics and the child can go off the antibiotics that is all that matters. It is common for whole families to have Lyme plus other infections because family members are in the same environment.

The more I think about it, it makes so much sense. God forbid, a year from now, symptoms appear and we didn't get him tested. I'd feel horrible, like I paid all this attention to his brother and not him. (although his "symptoms" are so mild compared to Colin's.)

thanks everyone.