This is what is says on Ingenex test

FIRST PAGE

31 kFs IND

41 KDa +

SECOND PAGE

39 KDa IND

41 KDa ++

Hi Wilma,

Here is what Wendy (SF MOM) sent me back in December. Sounds like your daughter should be considered positive.

Band 31 and 83 - 93 are highly Lyme specific bands. She also has an IND for Band 39 which is also a very Lyme specific band. I'm attaching a description of what each band means specifically below for your review. Again, negative co-infection panel does not mean she doesn't have one and it will take a good LLMD to help draw it out or treat based on clinical presentation. Our Dr. feels it takes approximately two years to treat a child for Lyme Disease fully.... so, slow and steady will win the race. BUT, with that said 'most' children will see rapid improvement within the first 16 weeks of treatment depending on co-infections of course.

Western Blot Bands description:

9 cross-reactive for Borrellia

12 specific for Bb

18 unknown

20 cross-reactive for Borrellia

21 unknown

22 specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band

23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb

28 unknown

30 unknown; probably an outer surface protein; common in European and

one California strain

31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb

34 outer surface protein B (OspB); specific for Bb

35 specific for Bb

37 specific for Bb

38 cross-reactive for Bb

39 is a major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb

41 flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia

45 cross-reactive for all Borellia (sometimes people with Lyme who have

this band positive also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis)

50 cross-reactive for all Borrellia

55 cross-reactive for all Borrellia

57 cross-reactive for all Borrellia

58 unknown but may be a heat-shock Bb protein

60 cross reactive for all Borrellia

66 cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria

83 specific antigen for the Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane

93 unknown, probably the same protein in band 83, just migrates differently in some patients

FIRST PAGE

31 kFs IND

41 KDa +

SECOND PAGE

39 KDa IND

41 KDa ++

Hi Wilma,

Here is what Wendy (SF MOM) sent me back in December. Sounds like your daughter should be considered positive.

Band 31 and 83 - 93 are highly Lyme specific bands. She also has an IND for Band 39 which is also a very Lyme specific band. I'm attaching a description of what each band means specifically below for your review. Again, negative co-infection panel does not mean she doesn't have one and it will take a good LLMD to help draw it out or treat based on clinical presentation. Our Dr. feels it takes approximately two years to treat a child for Lyme Disease fully.... so, slow and steady will win the race. BUT, with that said 'most' children will see rapid improvement within the first 16 weeks of treatment depending on co-infections of course.

Western Blot Bands description:

9 cross-reactive for Borrellia

12 specific for Bb

18 unknown

20 cross-reactive for Borrellia

21 unknown

22 specific for Bb, probably really the 23/25 band

23-25 outer surface protein C (OspC), specific for Bb

28 unknown

30 unknown; probably an outer surface protein; common in European and

one California strain

31 outer surface protein A (OspA), specific for Bb

34 outer surface protein B (OspB); specific for Bb

35 specific for Bb

37 specific for Bb

38 cross-reactive for Bb

39 is a major protein of Bb flagellin; specific for Bb

41 flagellin protein of all spirochetes; this is usually the first to appear after a Bb infection and is specific for all Borrellia

45 cross-reactive for all Borellia (sometimes people with Lyme who have

this band positive also have the co-infection Ehrlichiosis)

50 cross-reactive for all Borrellia

55 cross-reactive for all Borrellia

57 cross-reactive for all Borrellia

58 unknown but may be a heat-shock Bb protein

60 cross reactive for all Borrellia

66 cross-reactive for all Borrelia, common in all bacteria

83 specific antigen for the Lyme bacterium, probably a cytoplasmic membrane

93 unknown, probably the same protein in band 83, just migrates differently in some patients

Can I ask where those descriptions of the bands' meanings came from? I would love to post these on my blog, but would like a reference and to make sure I am not stealing someone's info ;) Thanks!

31 and 39 are both considered to be specific for Lyme, but an IND stands for Indeterminate -- that is, they saw some reaction, but not strong enough to be considered a true positive. However lots of people who have Lyme will only show an IND, so a good LLMD can help you sort this out. Igenex itself says that the lab results are there to support a clinical diagnosis, not to diagnose the disease itself.

Igenex will also run a follow-up test called a 31 kDa Epitope test, which I believe can be used when a 31 is IND. It helps to tell if the 31 IND is really from Lyme or not. You can call them at their 800 number and ask them about it -- they keep the blood for 3 months from the DAY IT WAS DRAWN (not the day you get your results) so that follow-up tests can be ordered on that same blood.

They also run other tests on urine and blood that sometimes they recommend you can do as a follow-up (or that your LLMD may want to do).

For example, my son had an wishy-washy Western blot, but showed up positive on a urine test after a course of antibiotics. But not everyone will - -it's kind of hit or miss, and a miss doesn't rule out Lyme.

FIRST PAGE

31 kFs IND

41 KDa +

SECOND PAGE

39 KDa IND

41 KDa ++

@ Wilma-What did Scott say? Did he interpret it as Neg or say that you should investigate more? I agree w/ the moms on the forum. Glad u have the appt w/ Dr. Beals. Did u get my email w/ Dr. J's explanation of how he interprets Lyme tests? I think it's a great explanation.

@Pixiesmom-I am pretty sure I have that list of explanations from a website saved on my laptop. I'll check.

I got a few request for Dr. J's explanation of Lyme results. Rather than scan and email my personal copy, I found he states it on his website. Here's the link

http://sites.google.com/site/drjoneskids/lab-tests/tests-explained--dr-crist

Check out the rest of his website. It's really informative!

Super!! I will just link to this instead of pasting it in then. I have several posts in progress- particularly the Lyme and PANDAS ones I need to get posted SOON!

@ pixiesmom--I posted the Dr. J info the other night but I also found the band descriptions I had saved. Here's the link to the Lyme board that has the info. It discusses Lyme symptoms, testing, tick info and then the bands. I didn't notice that the person cited where she got the info...seems like good info though.

http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=30&m=1606610