ACN Latitudes Forums

Adderall 30mg

My son has been on Straterra 35 mg and still was having trouble in school getting his work done. He has ADD they put him on Adderall XR 30 mg today. I'm concerned cause I have been reading and alot adults isn't on that high of mg. He's a good quiet kid other then not being able to keep on track. Is this good or bad for him? He's been on the Adderall for two days now and has been more emotional and cries very easily, could this be from the medicine? Josh does certain things which makes me wonder if its more then ADD which he can have a figure or a toy and he sits and stares at it and rolls his hands in one another or if he is just excited about something he seems to do it to, which it could be anxiety, also he seems to be very perticular about most things he does. The thing is he really is such a good kid but seems to struggle more then other kids do. I want the best for him and life.

Hi--A few more days have passed. Is your son still very emotional? If so, I would call the doctor and report this. You didn't mention the age of your child?

You might want to get the book No More Ritalin by Mary Anne Block, not so you can take him off drugs but to get other ideas of things you could be trying.

Also, see the section on the opening forum page, at the bottom, where there are archived guests. Read all the Q and A with Dr. Albert Robbins.This will give you an idea of how nutrition and the environment can be affecting condtions like ADHD.

Best wishes--let us know how things work out please. Sheila

• 2 weeks later...

Hi--A few more days have passed. Is your son still very emotional? If so, I would call the doctor and report this. You didn't mention the age of your child?

You might want to get the book No More Ritalin by Mary Anne Block, not so you can take him off drugs but to get other ideas of things you could be trying.

Also, see the section on the opening forum page, at the bottom, where there are archived guests. Read all the Q and A with Dr. Albert Robbins.This will give you an idea of how nutrition and the environment can be affecting condtions like ADHD.

Best wishes--let us know how things work out please. Sheila

8494[/snapback]

[/quote

Yes He seems to still be more emotional on the medication. Josh is 13 years old, and has done the rolling of hands since he was very small it started out that he stomped his feet (not in a temper just whne he was excited... then went to rolling of the hands). He has never never been on Ritalin just Straterra. I just ordered a book called "The ADD Answers" . Josh is in no way hyper though he is a very relaxed kid, half the time you don't know he's around. I might mention also he does have a hard time expressing himself or relaying a message.

I'm glad you ordered that book--The ADD Answer by Frank Lawlis --I recently bought it myself, and I think it's the most comprehensive and updated one. Full of good ideas. It should help you a lot as you look for answers for Josh. As you suspect, it sounds like he has more going on than just ADD, but the approaches in the book tend to help kids with a spectrum of problems that seem to be related. Let us know what approaches you find useful, OK?

Best wishes, Sheila

• 7 months later...

Hello! My kids are on Tenncare (which decided a few months ago to stop paying for Concerta.) My kids are both gifted children academically, and when they were on Concerta, it was as nice at home as it was at school. No complaints whatsoever. Since Tenncare removed the kids from Concerta all of our lives have been turned upside down. First it was Focalin, and then others. Nothing seemed to work. Then the doctor put them on Adderall XR. At first it seemed that it was going to work. But after more time on Adderall both kids started displaying erratic and oftentimes severely swinging behavior. My son (who is generally a sweet, happy, helpful boy) spends most evenings at home screaming at his brother and sister, telling me how much he hates me, he has begun chewing his nails to the point of bleeding (he never chewed his nails before) he has also started pulling on his front teeth. Like I said, he never displayed any of these behaviors before taking Adderall. My daughter who was consistently on the Honor Roll is now getting Ds and Fs. (Thanks again Adderall.) She is also very moody and withdrawn. (Before adderall she was a sweet and bubbly girl.) I called the Doctor today asking if there is any known way to get them back on Concerta. Tenncare's confusing ruling to not pay for Concerta has turned our home into a chaotic mess. I also have a co-worker who's son acted like a completely over emotional basket case the second he was put on Adderall. She took him off of it when she watched her little boy acting like a lunatic. I know I've had it completely with this mess. What you are seeing in your son is what I have already seen in my own children.

My son has been on Straterra 35 mg and still was having trouble in school getting his work done. He has ADD they put him on Adderall XR 30 mg today. I'm concerned cause I have been reading and alot adults isn't on that high of mg. He's a good quiet kid other then not being able to keep on track. Is this good or bad for him? He's been on the Adderall for two days now and has been more emotional and cries very easily, could this be from the medicine? Josh does certain things which makes me wonder if its more then ADD which he can have a figure or a toy and he sits and stares at it and rolls his hands in one another or if he is just excited about something he seems to do it to, which it could be anxiety, also he seems to be very perticular about most things he does. The thing is he really is such a good kid but seems to struggle more then other kids do. I want the best for him and life.