ACN Latitudes Forums

These supplements are helping us

Thank you so much, pixiesmommy! My kids love coconut milk smoothies, but I didn't do them often because of the bpa thing. They will be so happy!

lfran, where do they keep the fresh? In the dairy case? (I noticed when I was at Whole Foods last Thursday looking in the dairy case that So Delicious has a whole lot of new products in their coconut milk line, but unfortunately, they use a lot of other ingredients that I prefer to avoid)

Can you do banana? I would peel and freeze some ripe bananas and toss those in, along with some carob powder maybe. That should hide it pretty well and make a nice milk-shake consistency. I find that anything with bananas usually tastes like bananas and not the other ingredients.

Sorry, I goofed. My canned coconut milk has no additives; the fresh from Whole Foods is from So Delicious and does have some additional additives.

S

Thank you so much, pixiesmommy! My kids love coconut milk smoothies, but I didn't do them often because of the bpa thing. They will be so happy!

lfran, where do they keep the fresh? In the dairy case? (I noticed when I was at Whole Foods last Thursday looking in the dairy case that So Delicious has a whole lot of new products in their coconut milk line, but unfortunately, they use a lot of other ingredients that I prefer to avoid)

I've been using banana and frozen strawberries. If you're okay with dairy, adding kefir or yogurt can help thicken it. Otherwise, I've heard that crushing ice will give it the smoothie consistency.

Can you do banana? I would peel and freeze some ripe bananas and toss those in, along with some carob

powder maybe. That should hide it pretty well and make a nice milk-shake consistency. I find that anything with bananas usually tastes like bananas and not the other ingredients.

We vary our fruits but this is our recipe for 6 of us to have 2 servings each (using regular sized mugs) so you'll want to scale it to suit your needs:

3 ripe bananas (this is our minimum - often we throw in more if we have them, I've used up to 7 - it reduces or can even eliminate the need for sweetener though that depends on what other fruits you use)

3 cans coconut milk

1 8oz jar Maranatha macadamia butter (we needed to add protein - I imagine any nut butter would do)

1/8 - 1/4 tsp sea salt (that seems to help mask the coconut flavor to me, but several of us have adrenal fatigue so that may be a factor in my perception)

That is our base recipe. I often add a tablespoon of vanilla (Frontier's alcohol free). Our most common one adds a bag of frozen cherries and another bag of frozen wild blueberries. We have also done one with frozen strawberries & another with pineapple. My ds13 wanted one with ALL of these fruits for his birthday which I ended up having to split into two bowls & was a real mess though still tasty. :lol:

I have also doubled up on the nut butter one morning when I wanted them to have something that would stay with them well because of something we were doing that day - and they didn't get hungry until 2pm! Oh, and I made a special one last Christmas with Enjoy Life chocolate chips & peppermint flavor (minus the nut butter because the flavors do not work well, IMO) that the kids loved as a special treat.

I've used agave, palm sugar, maple syrup & honey as sweeteners. Honey seems to usually work best.

I use a stick blender to blend it all together & it works very well.